Two electrical shorts to watch for

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
jdpowe49

Re: Two electrical shorts to watch for

Post by jdpowe49 » May 8th, 2018, 12:27 am

Thank you so much for the tip! We have a 2015 Launch 24rls. Purchased last year from a wedding B&B owner who didn't travel in it. He only used it for weekend sleep when his B&B was full. We will finally be able to start using it this year so miles will add.

Moroz

Re: Two electrical shorts to watch for

Post by Moroz » January 6th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Houston. I haven't had any issues so far, but if it's as you say, I'm worried. Do you recommend these things be fixed pre-emptively?

Houston Remodeler

Two electrical shorts to watch for

Post by Houston Remodeler » October 16th, 2017, 8:43 pm

After towing our 24 RLS 22,000 miles we thought to warn y'all of some possible problems y'all may experience.

Problem #1

The factory thought it was a great idea to route the wiring harness for the brakes / running lights / turn lights / brake lights through the metal framing members below the floor and above the large plastic underbelly cover. Seems like a harmless idea, right? For some odd reason, just the running lights (brown) wire decided to rub itself bare and short out over one framing member somewhere under the trailer. Luckily it didn't take too long to find it by running my hands along the length of the wire. We blew quite a number of expensive truck fuses figuring out the problem during the intermittent stage, as everything worked fine while the TT was setting still. Once rolling down the road it would eventually short. We solved the problem by putting plastic covers over the framing members.

Problem #2

The factory thought it was a great idea to route the slide-out lighting (over the dinette) wire on some flexible flat piece of plastic which - when driving down the road - sets very near the rear tire. This flat piece of plastic flattens out as the slide-out is extended getting completely away from the tire. Over the last few trips we noticed some of the interior lights would dim by themselves. Eventually they stopped working. Bobbing up and down on our smooth roads caused the flexible plastic arm to fall and the wires to rub bare, eventually touch each other, and blow the lighting fuse inside the coach. We repaired the wires then stiffened the flexible arm to help reduce rubbing on the tire. In a moment of inspiration, I had the stroke of common sense to add a little landing shelf for the flexible arm. That shelf is made from aerated PVC, and attached to the inside of the fender under the slideout held in place by the fender screw which was already holding the fender on. Since the screw sticks about an inch inside the fender, it should hold the landing shelf firmly. I hope.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel