AFCO Power Converter Fan

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
jcarlilesiu

Re: AFCO Power Converter Fan

Post by jcarlilesiu » May 9th, 2015, 1:07 am

Good info. Glad you found the issue. That makes sense though, the brakes were constantly drawing on the 12V system, causing the charger to constantly run.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

moallen

Re: AFCO Power Converter Fan

Post by moallen » May 8th, 2015, 1:08 pm

Solved my problem - almost embarrassed to admit it. :oops: After extensive time troubleshooting the converter (I'm a retired electronics tech), I finally tracked the problem to a disconnected breakaway switch. The trailer brakes were staying on at our campsite. The plastic plug must have pulled out when unhooking the chains.

Here's some WFCO info. The converter fan comes on low when about 3 amps are being pulled from the converter and runs progressively faster up to full speed at 15 amps draw. The fan speed is controlled strictly by current draw not temperature.

You can pull the 40 amp fuse (reverse polarity protect fuse) and put an ammeter across the contacts and measure how much current the converter is putting out. This converter is rated at 35 amps max. With nothing turned on in the trailer except what you can't unhook (refrigerator, propane detector, tank sensors, etc.), the draw is about 3 amps and the converter cooling fan is barely running. 3 or 4 lights on brings it up to 8 amps and the fan is running at maybe half speed.

For what it's worth, the trailer brakes, at least on this 24rls, are protected by both the 30 and 40 amp fuses in the converter. However, I can find no fuse anywhere between the 12V battery and the brakes. Maybe that's a safety requirement. But the point is your 12V battery will quickly run down if the breakaway switch is disconnected and the converter is not running.
Last edited by moallen on October 21st, 2017, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

moallen

AFCO Power Converter Fan

Post by moallen » May 7th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Just got back from our maiden voyage with our new 24rls. The only thing I need to followup on is its built-in power converter. It's cooling fan runs all the time apparently on high speed. Never shut off and ended up being annoying. It's a WFCO ULTRA III Model WF-8735P.

The Jayco we traded in had the exact same converter, and it never behaved like this. Its fan would only run when we turned on more than 2 lights or the 12V battery needed charging. Even then the fan ran on low speed unless we turned on a lot of lights.

Anyone else having this problem?
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio