How long will my batteries last?

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
jamesph

Re: How long will my batteries last?

Post by jamesph » September 19th, 2021, 10:36 am

Batteries have a lifespan of 2 to 3 years. However, this estimate depends on several factors. If you maintain or tell them well it can last more than 5 years.

moallen

Post by moallen » June 5th, 2015, 6:36 pm

I measured current draw yesterday while hooking up. With the battery connect switch ON but nothing else on, except things that can't be turned off like propane detector, etc., the draw is 220 ma. Doesn't sound like much, but it's enough to run a normal battery down in 2 weeks or less.

Tongue Jack 9 amps. That's a heavy hitter!

Refrigerator on propane 600-800 ma depending on what it's doing. Significant if off grid.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

CenOhio

Post by CenOhio » June 5th, 2015, 3:42 am

Yah, you really have to get an understanding of what your particular rig will use no matter what, what the antenna booster, propane detector, entertainment center, maybe the condensation preventer on the fridge are all taking off the top. Then, you have to estimate what the humans will be using and doing. Huge number of parameters. You can actually make a educated guess, but, still unexpected factors can still creep in, maybe it gets cold and you want to use the furnace... It will be interesting to see his results, and what others say.

There are a lot of things you can do and some modifications and adjustments you can make as well to chase the equation, such as switching out incandescent lights for LEDs...
2014 Autumn Ridge 329BHU.
Places we've camped...

jcarlilesiu

How long will my batteries last?

Post by jcarlilesiu » June 4th, 2015, 3:01 am

Rhetorical question. I know. There is no way to predict based on a number of factors.

Well, I hope to answer somebody else who has the same general question.

I changed out our "deep cycle" marine/RV battery which was rated at 78 amp hours. I dropped in (2) 6 volt batteries and now have about 208 amp hours of power. Knowing that you shouldn't deplete batteries more than 50% of available voltage, does this mean that the amp hours is approximately cut in half as well? If so, that means I should have an effective amp hour of 104 available.

I have a 16 foot hybrid (launch). All original electrical.

We are heading to a camp ground for a trip later this month. The plan is, I won't hook up to power just to test how long the batteries will last in real world application.

So... for all of you wondering how many days you can get off of two six volt batteries, I hope to be able to answer soon.

For reference we have 2 adults and 2 children inhabiting the camper.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL