Read the manual!

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
moallen

Re: Read the manual!

Post by moallen » June 12th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Thanks CenOhio. I checked mine and it was tight. But it did make me get out the paperwork on mine and read it for the first time. Good stuff to know!
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

uct

Post by uct » June 9th, 2015, 12:36 pm

That one little set screw is a large bolt that holds the ball at the proper angle and if loose can put a tremendous strain on the hitch and bars. I had your same experience and once I tightened it wow. I was told this info by the dealer.
Gary and Karla Beagles Maddux and Smoltz
2013 f 150 5.0 crew tow package
2016 24 rls

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » June 8th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Good thing you checked it. 2500 miles is a lot of miles for that screw to back itself out more.

I am a stickler for reading owners manuals. When ever I get something new, I typically read the book from front to back. Nerdy yes.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

CenOhio

Read the manual!

Post by CenOhio » June 8th, 2015, 1:55 am

Posted this on another group I haunt as well in case you notice. It's not déjà vu! :D

On my last trip out I noticed that my hitch seemed to be acting a bit squirrly. Not too bad but I seemed to be getting pushed around more than I remembered from last season.

We were just getting ready to leave out on a 2500 mile trip and the hitch performance was buggin me. So I did the unthinkable! I broke out the hitch manual and read it... Paid special attention to the adjusting and maintaining section. Sure enough, I discovered that I had been neglecting to check the tightness of one little set screw. It's fairly hidden below the ball and out of sight.

Tightened that baby up according to the instructions... I swear I have a whole new hitch and towing experience. Amazing the difference a 5/8 wrench, 15 seconds, and a little turn or two will do for you!

Lesson learned, thankfully before I broke anything.
2014 Autumn Ridge 329BHU.
Places we've camped...