Plumbing in your slidout? Read this

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
jcarlilesiu

Re: Plumbing in your slidout? Read this

Post by jcarlilesiu » June 25th, 2015, 4:51 pm

For them not to leave enough slack on the line, knowing its in a slide.

That is just unacceptable.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

pawpaw

Re: Plumbing in your slidout? Read this

Post by pawpaw » June 25th, 2015, 10:28 am

Wow, glad you found the problem so quickly. Sounds like a royal PIA!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

tslarson

Plumbing in your slidout? Read this

Post by tslarson » June 25th, 2015, 2:54 am

Last Sunday as we were packing up to leave the campground we were staying at, my wife was putting in the slide and all of the sudden there was a snap and water came spraying out the wood air return louvers for the furnace. Luckily we had already unhooked from the campgrounds water and there was only residual pressure in the lines. (this is not a good time to have a 2 gallon expansion tank, lots of stored water to squirt around) I quickly pulled the drains to dump any remaining water in the system. We removed our pull out waste basket/storage drawer above the furnace and found a broken water line. When moving in the slide the water lines need to move, the factory did not leave enough slack in the hoses and as the slide moved in they became banjo string tight! Each line has a plastic elbow where it turns to go to the hot water heater, and the plastic elbow snapped in two from the tension. I just spent two nights re-plumbing the system. I replaced both elbows with brass ones, I increased the length of the piping by 4" to provide the correct amount of slack for movement, and added two additional brass elbows where the flexible lines enter the slide out to eliminate hose kinking. I also neatened up the sloppy plumbing and wiring in the cabinet under the oven, I then moved the panel covering the wiring and plumbing over gaining considerable storage room in the cabinet. Sorry for the lack of photos, this is the only one I took. If you have plumbing in your slide out you need to do a inspection with the slide in to make sure you don't have the same issue.

2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4