Rookie Mistake / Awning

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
pawpaw

pawpaw

Post by pawpaw » May 22nd, 2018, 12:32 pm

As moallen said, I also attach a bungee to one of the arms to keep the awning slanted. Have never had a problem with the awning draining off all the rain water when I do this.
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

cattzap

Re: Rookie Mistake / Awning

Post by cattzap » May 21st, 2018, 2:20 pm

If I pull one arm down (before it rains) it will work itself back up in an hour or so.

From the owners manual.........

NOTE: Belleville washers and bolts (Fig.18A) allow the
joint to remain in the position set by the operator. If the
pitch arm does not hold position, it can be tightened by
adjusting the bolt (Fig.18A) in the center of the pitch arm.

Manual in a pdf is available online

moallen

Post by moallen » September 26th, 2017, 10:34 pm

I have a Lippert that is supposed to be self-leveling when it rains. But both arms stay up and then the awning collects a big pool of water which makes it sag in the middle. If I pull one arm down (before it rains) it will work itself back up in an hour or so. Long story short, I attach a bungee cord to one arm to keep one end lowered.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

RoyBraddy

Post by RoyBraddy » September 26th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I had the problem one time of not slanting down one side enough to keep the rain water pouring off the awning. It ended up pooling in the middle and I could not even open the door to get out.

I managed to get the door open enough to use a brown to push up on the awning to it to pour off enough water to get outside haha...

I was fortunate that I did not get any awning damage out of it...

Once it happens then you really remember to get one side slanted down haha...

Roy Ken
Posts are IMHO based on experiences - PM me
CAPS does not mean I am SHOUTING
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN

cwade28643

Post by cwade28643 » September 25th, 2017, 8:35 pm

Just wondering what brand of awning is on your campers? We have had the same issue. When we purchased the camper earlier this year we were told it was a self-pitching awning. We even got a manual that told us it was self-pitching. But guess what? It isn't! Our awning on our Autumn Ridge 235FB is a Carefree but the manual we were giving is for a Lippert. And I have heard a lot of Starcraft campers have Lippert awnings. So just wonder what you all have?
Thanks.

Spearsmamax3

Post by Spearsmamax3 » April 23rd, 2017, 11:45 pm

GaryG wrote:
April 22nd, 2017, 2:31 am
I'm curious, was it the wind or the weight of the rain pouring down that bent the arm? My awning lowers automatically if the weight of the water is to great. It's kinda spring-loaded and does this automatically.
It was the weight of the rain. Bent the whole one side so bad the awning was on the picnic table and you can see where the wall bowed away from the bedroom cabinet near the ceiling a bit....insurance is coming out tomorrow to eval and let us know what they cover.

mattym13

Post by mattym13 » April 22nd, 2017, 5:18 pm

I also have a 2016 27bhu and had the same thing happen to me last year. I thought the awning was suppose to do something to prevent that kind of thing from happening. Only one of the arms bent and I just bent it back into place.

Matt

GaryG

Post by GaryG » April 22nd, 2017, 2:31 am

I'm curious, was it the wind or the weight of the rain pouring down that bent the arm? My awning lowers automatically if the weight of the water is to great. It's kinda spring-loaded and does this automatically.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

Spearsmamax3

Rookie Mistake / Awning

Post by Spearsmamax3 » April 21st, 2017, 6:08 pm

Hello camping friends! We have had our 2016 27BHU Starcraft travel trailer for almost a year. We LOVE it! We have been very diligent thus far at being careful and minding the weather. Unfortunately, we weren't thinking and last night a rainstorm hit. At 0530 we were awakened by the sound similar to a gun shot! The rain on our awning had bent and pulled the awning arm on the right side terrible. My husband had to take the awning, arms and LED strip off just so we could drive home. Both arms will need to be replaced. I doubt warranty will cover due to user error but has anyone had any luck with insurance covering or helping to pay for this pretty expensive goof? TIA!