Awning Rails Separating From SideWall

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
kuba122

Re: Awning Rails Separating From SideWall

Post by kuba122 » May 26th, 2017, 12:06 am

I haven't done much to awnings .... I am certain there are proper ways to do these things. I was looking through youtube videos just to see, and yes, there are videos available that explain all of the steps to install/repair awnings. Welcome to the forum!!
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

A&J

Awning Rails Separating From SideWall

Post by A&J » May 22nd, 2017, 3:27 pm

Hi Everyone! New to this forum but not new to RV'ing. We've had our Starcraft Launch for about 3 years. About a year after we got it I took it in because the Awning motor on the right side of the awning was bent forward a bit and wasn't seated level like the left motor was. The dealer sent the info to Starcraft and, as I suspected, Starcraft denied the claim and said I hit something which made it not seat properly. I just said ok because it still works fine and didn't want to argue and didn't want the heartburn dealing with them. I know I didn't hit anything and remember that motor was like that when I bought it but, at the time, didn't know what issues to look for because we upgraded from a pop-up.

Now I've noticed that the awning rail that runs the length of the camper and is connected to the wall is starting to separate from the wall at the front of the camper. The separation starts at the front and is separated approximately 14' to about where the vertical rails are connected to the wall of the camper. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how was it repaired? If i take in to the dealer I'm looking at 6 months of downtime from camping because they are so slow and backed up. Anybody got any ideas? ONly thing I can think that caused this is a gust of wind.

I thought maybe screwing it in with a wood screw but I'm concerned that it will leak and get in to the walls and causing more trouble. If I were to put some type of bond/epoxy underneath it I don't know how I would push the rail back in place and hold it until the bond/epoxy set. Any info would be help and thanks for taking the time for reading my ramble.