Rear view camera system

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
moallen

Re: Rear view camera system

Post by moallen » July 12th, 2015, 9:14 pm

A good rear view camera is worth its weight in gold for those of us that don't drive a big rig everyday. I like to know what's behind me when I'm about to make a turn in case somebody does something weird. Sometimes I just like to be nice and pull over if a string of vehicles is backing up behind me.

Good question about the camera being wired to the running lights. It's probably because that's the only 12V power available back there. I wanted to install a 12V outlet by our rear sofa. I can get a clear view of all the rear wiring from under the sofa and side cabinet. I couldn't find any wire back there that's always on. I had to run a separate wire back up to the converter near the middle of the trailer.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

pawpaw

Rear view camera system

Post by pawpaw » July 12th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Our 329BHU came pre-wired for a camera system. I initially purchased a Furrion FRC12TA-BL system thinking it was both a back up camera and rear view camera system. The camera housing installed by Starcraft is made by Furrion and designed for this unit. At the time, this was the only camera system offered by Furrion. It worked very well as a back up camera, but didn't work very well as a rear view camera system while traveling. It would lose the signal. After talking with the tech support folks at Furrion, I learned that they now offered a true rear view camera system, the FOS48TA-BL. They offered me a sweet trade in deal and I ordered the new system.

I'm happy to say that the new system works perfectly! I can now see what's behind my trailer while traveling. It has a pretty wide field of vision so I can see when I have cleared any vehicle that I'm passing and get back into my lane safely. (Not saying that I pass many vehicles, but it does happen). It's a great addition and a to the side mirrors on my truck. I highly recommend this unit and the company behind it. I know it's a little pricey, but in my opinion you get what you pay for. The only thing I don't quite understand is why the trailer is wired so the clearance/running lights have to be on for the camera to receive power. Not a big deal, but you do have to remember to manually turn on the lights in the truck.

Happy travels!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX