I'm an idiot (again)

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
moallen

Re: I'm an idiot (again)

Post by moallen » October 8th, 2015, 12:29 pm

It could have been worse. Like the time I slammed my door shut at the campground and for some reason the deadbolt decided to engage. You know where my keys and dog, who was no help at all, were, right... That was a 2000 Dutchmen. Back then a lot of locks were the same. Fortunately, I found someone in the campground with a key that matched, which taught me a 2nd lesson...

Ever since then, I carry my camper keys on a small carabiner clipped to my jeans. I also keep my spare set of keys in my truck, not at home.

If it's any consolation, I don't think a trip goes by that I don't do something I regret. Last trip, I broke a cabinet door. I usually leave all the cabinet doors cracked open a little to let air circulate. As I was extending the slideout, a cabinet door next to it swung open as the weight shifted and caught on the slideout. It was in the corner where I didn't see it happen but heard it snap. Unfortunately, my wife heard it, too! On, well, Elmer came to the rescue, and it looks as good as new.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

jcarlilesiu

I'm an idiot (again)

Post by jcarlilesiu » October 8th, 2015, 3:09 am

Well, been working about 60 hours a week the last few weeks, and with the kids, I'm pretty exhausted.

I'm looking forward to a weekend camping trip with the guys.

Tonight I went to grab the camper out of storage. Wearing my pajama pants, I quickly unlocked the hitch lock, got the camper all connected, did my double check and left to drive the 2 miles home.

I get home and go to disconnect the trailer and realize I don't have the camper keys. I threw them on top of the battery box when hitching and forgot to grab them before driving off.

I had a big orange floaty on them so I double backed twice. Couldn't find them anywhere. I would think they would have fell off right when I drive away since the storage lot is really bumpy.

Nothing. Looked everywhere.

Thank god I have an almost complete spare set. Only missing key is the outside storage bin.

Urgh.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk