Adjusting Brakes

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
westend

Re: Adjusting Brakes

Post by westend » January 30th, 2015, 8:39 am

jcarlilesiu wrote:
westend wrote:I would suggest to remove the hubs and service the bearings. This will allow you to see the actual braking mechanisms and how they operate, overcome newb jacking and support education, insure that the bearings have an adecuate amount of grease and are adjusted correctly. The latter is not always done right at the axle factory. A Youtube search will turn up the procedure for adjusting the brakes.

So you think its a capable DIY project?
It is DIY for most guys that have worked on their vehicles. Be sure to have adeuate support and jacks before starting. If you don't have the necessary jacking and supports, don't even try it.

Altthough you may not have Dexter brand axles, on the Dexter website there are excellent pictured and diagrammed service tutorials.
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar 220-- the Cowboy/Hilton

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » January 27th, 2015, 6:07 pm

westend wrote:I would suggest to remove the hubs and service the bearings. This will allow you to see the actual braking mechanisms and how they operate, overcome newb jacking and support education, insure that the bearings have an adecuate amount of grease and are adjusted correctly. The latter is not always done right at the axle factory. A Youtube search will turn up the procedure for adjusting the brakes.

So you think its a capable DIY project?
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

westend

Post by westend » January 27th, 2015, 1:10 pm

I would suggest to remove the hubs and service the bearings. This will allow you to see the actual braking mechanisms and how they operate, overcome newb jacking and support education, insure that the bearings have an adecuate amount of grease and are adjusted correctly. The latter is not always done right at the axle factory. A Youtube search will turn up the procedure for adjusting the brakes.
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar 220-- the Cowboy/Hilton

camper79

Post by camper79 » January 26th, 2015, 1:17 am

I do have mine adjusted every season or so.

Always a dealer issue for me, so no help on the do-it-yourself.

I would say that yes, you do need to have them adjusted after the initial break in period.
2005 Comet 10RT

Old but functional!

mick

Post by mick » January 23rd, 2015, 2:42 pm

I don't think the Launch or AR-One models come with the self adjusting brakes. Thus, you got a little maintenance to do.

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » January 21st, 2015, 3:57 am

Looking at the Starcraft website, it lists nev-r-adjust brakes on the Autumn Ridge line, but on the Launch it just says "electric brakes".

I don't think that option comes on the Launch models.

Looking at your video, have you ever attempted on your own?

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » January 21st, 2015, 3:38 am

mcmahonm wrote:Are you sure that your trailer did not come with the starcraft Nev-R-Adjust electric brakes. if not this is the process I basically use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tf1Bc526zE

I have only done this on previous trailers, current one was done by dealer, because I was already there
My dealer was the one who told me to have them adjusted!

How would I be able to figure out if that is what I have? I don't remember seeing a manual or anything for the braking system.

mcmahonm

Post by mcmahonm » January 21st, 2015, 1:43 am

Are you sure that your trailer did not come with the starcraft Nev-R-Adjust electric brakes. if not this is the process I basically use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tf1Bc526zE

I have only done this on previous trailers, current one was done by dealer, because I was already there
2013 Chevy Silverado Z71 & 2012 Autumn Ridge 278BH
http://files.michaelmcmahon.org/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

jcarlilesiu

Adjusting Brakes

Post by jcarlilesiu » January 21st, 2015, 1:17 am

I was informed by the dealer that after the first 1,000 miles, we should have our electric drum breaks adjusted after break-in.

Well, this spring it is going to be that time.

Question. Can I do this myself? I am pretty handy, and the bearings don't need to be packed or anything, just adjusted brakes.

If so, can anybody lend any guidance?