Winterizing trailer in the desert??

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
Marsh

Re: Winterizing trailer in the desert??

Post by Marsh » May 13th, 2021, 9:21 am

Cold weather can be harsh on everyone, but it can hit even harder when it comes to RVs. So Winterizing an RV or a trailer is necessary. This article gives you some actionable tips for winterizing a RV or a trailer.

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » December 28th, 2015, 10:36 pm

There is a drain for the fresh water tank located under the trailer on the passenger side, behind the tires, sorta below the sink.

There are two drains for the water lines behind a panel of the base of the vanity. If you unscrew the back of the vanity you will see the valves. I did this once, now reach over the panel with my arm to open and close without needing a screwdriver.

Blowing the water out of the water lines and draining the hot water heater is good practice for the deep freeze areas.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

el robo

Post by el robo » December 28th, 2015, 4:37 am

where is the location of the one by the sink? I see a sticker on the outside of the trailer by the sink that says "low point drain", but when I look under the trailer, all I see are two tubes (Unlike the other side of the trailer where it says low point drain, which is the fresh water tank drain, which actually has a turn knob to open and close the drain.)

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » December 26th, 2015, 4:29 pm

We live in Houston where we count the number of hours per year below freezing.

We open the low point drains and the ones behind the bath sink.

No worries about the HWH or the holding tanks.

We're wearing short pants today.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » December 22nd, 2015, 11:38 pm

If the water in the lines has an opportunity to freeze solid, then you need to worry about damage.

I would suggest that you winterize it the first year, and then get yourself a digital thermometer inside the camper and see what the temperature gets down to at night. Dipping below freezing for a few hours probably won't do anything, sustained freezing will most likely result in damage.

Because of the insulation in the camper, heating it up during the day, it will probably retain that heat and prevent freezing if the temperature only dips for a few hours outside.

I live in Chicago area, so winterizing is a must. Somebody who lives in the southwest can probably answer better.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

el robo

Winterizing trailer in the desert??

Post by el robo » December 22nd, 2015, 10:22 pm

We have a 2106 Launch 24RLS. This is our first winter with it. We live in Tucson, so the temps don't get super cold or if they do, for very long. Occasionally the nighttime temps will dip down to freezing for a couple days, and then back up. We have been and are planning to use the trailer quite a bit during the winter, in the desert areas (which will be super hot during the summer).

My question is, do I need to do the extensive "winterizing" that folks in very cold climates do? Or is there a modified winterizing for the desert SW?