Solar setup for your RV

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
mcmahonm

Re: Solar setup for your RV

Post by mcmahonm » March 8th, 2015, 10:03 pm

I think I going to get a large inverter so I do not have to replace it later. I will do the install photo collection at that time, I will likely do it at the campground, as it is nice to work on the trailer in the woods :)
2013 Chevy Silverado Z71 & 2012 Autumn Ridge 278BH
http://files.michaelmcmahon.org/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » March 8th, 2015, 6:35 pm

mcmahonm wrote:Folks thank you for all the information. I was lucky enough to have my wife give me a 40W Coleman solar panel. With her Canadian tire points it was free :) Now the batteries are going to be easy to charge when we are boondocking. Already have a 3000W inverter generator as well.

I planning a bigger solar deployment as time goes on. As solar has got more popular the prices are coming down.
Very cool. Gotta love free stuff.

If you haven't already installed the inverter, you should photo document it, and show us how you get the job done. I am interested in doing the same, and love seeing people's ideas for installation.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

mcmahonm

Post by mcmahonm » March 8th, 2015, 1:52 pm

Folks thank you for all the information. I was lucky enough to have my wife give me a 40W Coleman solar panel. With her Canadian tire points it was free :) Now the batteries are going to be easy to charge when we are boondocking. Already have a 3000W inverter generator as well.

I planning a bigger solar deployment as time goes on. As solar has got more popular the prices are coming down.

westend

Post by westend » February 27th, 2015, 6:40 am

I have a single 235W module, using a Morningstar MPPT-15 controller. I have 310AH of battery storage. My system is basically set up to run a small residential fridge and entertainment devices (LED T, DVD,V and stereo). I also charge a laptop and a phone or two. I don't have any circuit boards for heating or cooling and all my alarms are battery powered.
The first step when designing a solar system for your RV is to know how much power you use in a day. The design exercise then revolves around battery storage, enough panel wattage to recharge the batteries, and how long you rely on the solar to run your devices. Budget and where you park are also variables that should be taken into account. My single panel is roof mounted and I built a 4-way tilt mechanism for t. In the Winter, the module is tilted , aimed South so that the battery banks are charged.
Since I installed the solar, I haven't used the onboard converter with either shore power or a generator. If I use AC, a generator will be necessary, they are just an energy hog that solar can't feed.
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar 220-- the Cowboy/Hilton

RoyBraddy

Post by RoyBraddy » February 8th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Mick - I am in the thinking/design stage at the moment... Those are photos from GOOGLE on what someone has already done to their small foot print roof similar to mine.

If my roof raise is going to be an issue then I will install a quick disconnect connector of some sort so I can install the rear (heavier) panel after the roof has been raised and locked into position.

Since my POPUP trailer roof goes up and down I may have to arrange the solar panels to be connected after they are up anyway. Other wise I would have to deal with the solar panel cables when the roof is in its down position.

It also may be beneficial to me to use the rear panel as a stand alone on the ground propped up against the trailer and follow the sun as well...

I am just looking for 20AMPS of solar power to feed my battery bank after I have run my generator running the trailer on-board converter to get all of the batteries past their initial high current demand (about one hour of run time). Then the 20AMPS or so of solar can finish charging the battery bank until the high sun goes down in the late afternoon.

I really just want the solar panels to keep me from having to run my generator so much each day when camping off the power grid.

My day/night demand on the batteries is going to be on the high side since I will be using my Ham Radio equipment alot when camping... I have a 1-2 AMP parasitic 24/7 drain now and then we usually draw around 22AMPS DC current from the battery bank from 6PM to 11PM running all the things we want to play with each evening.

lots of planning needed hehe

Roy Ken
Posts are IMHO based on experiences - PM me
CAPS does not mean I am SHOUTING
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » February 4th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Very cool projects guys.

I am getting ready to upgrade to 2 6V batteries. Solar is down the road. Great info though.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

mick

Post by mick » February 4th, 2015, 2:44 pm

RoyBraddy wrote:My electric roof raise may not be strong enough to raise all of the panels mounted so I will use a quick disconnect using aluminum UNISTRUT for the one on the rear and this will allow me to put it on the roof after I raise it. It will let m use it stand along on the ground if I want to track the sun alittle better...

Roy Ken
What are you going to use to quick connect the panels (after install) to your solar controller? Usually thats a hard wired connection isn't it? I assume you will have to have some sort of detachable cable plug on both ends.

Looking at your picture, it looks like you already have a box up there that the yellow cord plugs into. Just curious what you plan on using.

mick

Post by mick » February 4th, 2015, 2:42 pm

mcmahonm wrote:Good Morning everyone, well as I sit here is the cold of Canada. I beginning to plan my spring trailer projects. We are doing more an more rough camping where power is not always available. While I do have a 3000KW inverter generator, I know some places are not fond of running gennies. I have converted all the lights in the trailer to LEDs.

For those of you who have solar or know solar what do you recommend to recharge my 2 deep cycle batteries I have on the trailer.

Thanks
Those new self stick flexible panels at 100W each seem pretty awesome.

My garage is piling up with supplies I have ordered this winter for projects. When I finally get the camper out of storage, I am going to have a ton of work to do! That is half the fun in my mind.

What brand of LEDs did you use for the conversion?

max2bob

Post by max2bob » February 2nd, 2015, 1:56 pm

I have the morning star pro star with the digital meter for the big trailer and morning star sun guard for the ar-one. no pictures of set up. since our fridge is in the slide I could not run the wire through the fridge vent as is usual. instead I ran the wire along the side of the black tank vent that goes through our closet. that is where the controller is mounted also. not convenient to look at the controller but it is unobtrusive and will leave hardly a trace. the output wires drop through bottom of closet exiting the low point drains for the water and then up front to the two batteries. 2 panels are mounted up front and 2 in back.
2000 dodge 2500, 2015 starcraft 14rb ar-one, 2013 jayco eagle 257rbs

mcmahonm

Post by mcmahonm » February 1st, 2015, 4:49 pm

max2bob, thanks. Yes looking for something that will not leave any trace if removed, since I have a large trailer roof, I want to use that to my advantage. What brand of controller did you end up with?, any pictures to share.

Thank you