Solar setup for your RV

Non-model specific discussions related to RVing
max2bob

Re: Solar setup for your RV

Post by max2bob » February 1st, 2015, 4:40 pm

I have had solar on my campers since 1995. since we boondock almost exclusively it is a nice addition to the camper. changing out the regular light bulbs to led bulbs is a fantastic start. in colder weather we also use a mr buddy heater to curtail the main furnace from running. the furnace can really draw down the batteries very quickly. on our big trailer I have two 6 volt golf cart batteries, I have had very good luck with them.
I would suggest on getting a high quality solar charge controller and quality solar wiring. with careful mounting of the controller you can move the controller from trailer to trailer if you trade a lot without leaving unsightly holes and such. our 4 panels total 310 watts which is more than sufficient for us. usually where we are parked we never get full sun because of the trees shading the roof at various times so that is something to consider when figuring how much power you need.

have a good plan on where the panels are mounted on the roof , where the cables are going to run from the roof to the controller inside the trailer and then from the controller to the batteries up front. with a well thought out plan it is not to bad. I still have my two original panels as every time we trade they get pulled off and attach them to the new trailer.
good luck with the project. with our ar-one I have a small weather proof controller mounted on the battery box and a portable panel with quick connect cables and can move the panel throughout the day to track the sun. that set up was used on our last pop up. it works well but will likely go more permanent as time allows.
2000 dodge 2500, 2015 starcraft 14rb ar-one, 2013 jayco eagle 257rbs

RoyBraddy

Re: Solar setup for your RV

Post by RoyBraddy » January 31st, 2015, 8:56 pm

I am planning to do this to my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer roof.

I will use 120WATT Panels in the front on each side of my fantastic fan and probably a 240WATT panel on the rear.

My electric roof raise may not be strong enough to raise all of the panels mounted so I will use a quick disconnect using aluminum UNISTRUT for the one on the rear and this will allow me to put it on the roof after I raise it. It will let m use it stand along on the ground if I want to track the sun alittle better...

Roy Ken
Posts are IMHO based on experiences - PM me
CAPS does not mean I am SHOUTING
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN

mcmahonm

Solar setup for your RV

Post by mcmahonm » January 31st, 2015, 2:23 pm

Good Morning everyone, well as I sit here is the cold of Canada. I beginning to plan my spring trailer projects. We are doing more an more rough camping where power is not always available. While I do have a 3000KW inverter generator, I know some places are not fond of running gennies. I have converted all the lights in the trailer to LEDs.

For those of you who have solar or know solar what do you recommend to recharge my 2 deep cycle batteries I have on the trailer.

Thanks
2013 Chevy Silverado Z71 & 2012 Autumn Ridge 278BH
http://files.michaelmcmahon.org/VisitedStatesMap.jpg