Show off your camper

Discussion for all discontinued or other model RVs. Don't own a Starcraft? That's ok, we'll let you sit around the fire too.
jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » February 26th, 2015, 3:35 am

Basically built it from scratch. Cool project. Tons of effort

westend

Re: Show off your camper

Post by westend » February 25th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Hi again guys. Haven't been on this or other Forums as regularly since my laptop has gone to "electronic heaven" :mrgreen:

To answer some of the questions: Yes I insulated the trailer extensively/ From the outside-> inside---aluminum siding, 1"fiberglass batt, 1" extruded foam board, poly vapor barrier, 1/4" extruded foam across the studs, luan paneling. The ceiling cavities got a double dose of the same. The floor has 1/2" Builtrite under the floor joists and 1 1/2" foam board between joists. The floor has an aluminum sheeted belly liner. The laminate flooring with attached rubber backing is installed onto another layer of laminate underlayment. I can heat the interior in the dead of a MN Winter with a small electric space heater but I also have a propane heater.

Weight of materials used when finished was about 500lbs. greater. I wasn't too concerned with weights, overall, as the larger Starcraft trailers of that year use the same frame and running gear. I tried to stay cognizant of side-to-side weight and front-to-back balance. Even with the addition of 5 batteries and my typical overbuilding regimen, I hit everything regarding weight pretty good. I did remove a lot of weight during the demo stage, these older trailers used thicker materials than more modern rigs.

Since I wanted the mechanical systems to be durable and efficient, I replaced just about everything. I have 50 amp electrical service and a 235W solar system with 310AH of battery storage. The furnace was replaced with a free standing, non-electric, vented propane space heater. I use the original water heater and cooking stove.The refridgerator was replaced with a 120 V residential fridge. All of the plumbing was replaced with PEX pipe and ABS drain piping. All of the wiring was replaced, including the tail light and brake wiring. I'm able to go off-grid running the small fridge and my entertainment devices off an inverter. The solar keeps everything charged as long as there is sun. I haven't used a generator or the onboard 12 V converter since I installed the solar system.

Everyone usually wants to know about costs and time involved---I did all of the work myself since I've worked in building trades and other mechanical professions most of my life. I worked on the trailer almost full-time for 6 months, a few days off here and there working to fill the coffers back up. I still have a couple of projects to complete before I call it totally done (waste tank heating and insulation, electric tongue jack). I bought the trailer for $700 and my total costs of everything was around $6K. I did have some of the materials in stock from my working life but the bulk was purchased.

I'm real happy with how everything turned out. The first thing anyone remarks about when inside is how quiet it is. The Low-E windows and insulation are the cause of that. The Wanderstar tows beautifully, like it's on rails. I hope that I can get close to another 44 years out of it, lol.

Some more pictures:
12 V electrical distribution panel---

DIY HD television antenna--

Sewer hose storage--

Swinging bathroom door--

Cowboy style TP holder (made from a horse bit)--
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar 220-- the Cowboy/Hilton

mick

Post by mick » January 30th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Great remodel.

You still use this camper regularly? How was all of the mechanical systems like plumbing? Did you have to redo all of that?

camper79

Post by camper79 » January 28th, 2015, 3:26 pm

Absolutely astounding job.

When you were picking new finish materials like the floor, were you conscience of the weight of these items? How did you go about finding finishes that were appropriate for RVs?
2005 Comet 10RT

Old but functional!

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » January 27th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Wow! Totally impressed.

That is a pretty awesome feat.

Your residential building skills are showing through. Did you end up reinsulating the walls and such?
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

westend

Post by westend » January 27th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Hi,
First post here, at the Starcraft Forum. Hoping others will share what they have and info about their trailers. This post will show that that Starcraft has been building a good unit with a long history of successful designs.

My Starcraft is a 1971 229 Wanderstar. I bought this trailer because it had been neglected and needed work, hence, the price was right. My intention was to strip and gut the interior, reinstall better insulation, newer windows, and more modern conveniences. I knew I wouldn't have the heart to rip apart a fairly good trailer but wanted something that was structurally sound.

This was the trailer as it was rolled into my driveway:

Avacado green interior:Image

The full restoration thread of "The Cowboy/Hilton" is chronicalled here at RVnet: http://forums.trailerlife.com/Index.cfm ... g/1/page/1

The present day look:

I've done a lot of new modifications including additional batteries, 50 amp service, solar system, and changed the layout completely. The bulk of the work took six months and I think it;s time and expense well spent. The Wanderstar is very comfortable and travels extremely well on the road.
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar 220-- the Cowboy/Hilton

Administrator
Site Admin

Show off your camper

Post by Administrator » January 6th, 2015, 8:07 pm

With thousands of brands and models available, everybody can learn from the design, styles, and plans of other manufacturers or discontinued models. Tell us about your modifications.