Trailer too high!

A forum to discuss tow vehicles and towing related issues.
jcarlilesiu

Re: Trailer too high!

Post by jcarlilesiu » April 16th, 2015, 1:59 am

Ok, just got in the 9" drop and it looks pretty good. Still slightly nose up, but very close.

Now I have another issue. The shank on the 9" drop shank is a 14" and my original shank is a 12". As a result, my safety chains no longer reach.

Blah.

Off to Farm and Fleet.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » April 12th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Alright, measured everything up. The hitch is 16" off the ground level. The car is 25" to the receiver.

Great, need a 9" drop. Right now, my shank has a 12" extension from the receiver. That is ideal to prevent the hatch trunk from hitting the trailer stand handle.

If I go to the provided amazon site, the 12" shank is the same as I have now, which means to get more drop, I would have to use the 10" and not be able to open the trunk.

Blah. Keep researching.

tslarson

Post by tslarson » April 12th, 2015, 6:19 pm

jcarlilesiu wrote:It is a husky brand, and I don't see any other shanks.

Maybe I am just missing them.

You can't mix and match?
Hey, how about this one :D
You will have to measure your length and rise, then order one the same length with a few more inches in rise.

http://www.amazon.com/Husky-30857-Lengt ... B0085IIG4G
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

CenOhio

Post by CenOhio » April 12th, 2015, 2:57 pm

I wouldn't mix and match unless the manufacturer says its ok. If you can't find one online, try searching for a phone number on the web and give them a call. (Edit: or contact a RV dealer.). You can't be the first person that's ever encountered this... Well... I would not think so. I'm not familiar with your brand, but I'm betting that they have a solution. Hope so. Otherwise, start over with a different brand that can provide a working solution. It's gonna cost you more to go that route, but I'd do that before going without.
2014 Autumn Ridge 329BHU.
Places we've camped...

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » April 12th, 2015, 1:55 pm

It is a husky brand, and I don't see any other shanks.

Maybe I am just missing them.

You can't mix and match?

tslarson

Post by tslarson » April 12th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Looks to me like you won't be able to move the hitch on the shank enough to lower the trailer so it is level. You can purchase a new shank that has more holes for vertical adjustment. Buy the one for your specific brand hitch. About $150.00. Here is a example of a Reese one.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and ... P3215.html
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

rbrent

Post by rbrent » April 12th, 2015, 2:08 am

I would try to put the hitch at the lowest holes. then remove or add can't remember to lower the angle of the hitch head so that the
bars are level with the frame of the trailer. if that's possible. if not, would need to get a different shank that will allow to lower the hitch head, I would not travel without the wd and sway bar! Good Luck. Been in your shoes after buy a different TV.
Bob and Margaret
2015 Launch Ultra Light 24RLS
2016 Chevrolet 1500 Double Cab
Westland, Michigan

CenOhio

Post by CenOhio » April 12th, 2015, 12:59 am

mcmahonm wrote:On my Blue Ox you can move the ball mount piece up and down by removing the bolts that hold it to the receiver, this should allow you to get it even. I will not even on a travel trailer regardless of size without the WD and sway control.

I think the 2 bolts in the last picture come out and can be moved up 1 more notch. You may need a large impact gun to get them off unless you have a breaker bar and large enough socket.

I have to agree. Get the camper level or maybe even a tad nose down, you might be able to adjust the shank you have by dropping the hitch head down to that lowest setting. You might need to replace it with one that allows for more drop. I wouldn't tow it very far or very fast with it nose high like that.

Whatever you do (IMHO) don't go without weight distribution and sway control. If you don't feel comfortable, or do not have the tools needed to do this on your own, go to a RV dealership and they can help you. The money invested in having this set up right is cheap insurance I personally would not go without, unless my towing vehicle was massively oversized for the trailer I was towing. Even then, I think I'd rather have it and not ever "need" it than the other way around.
2014 Autumn Ridge 329BHU.
Places we've camped...

max2bob

Post by max2bob » April 12th, 2015, 12:57 am

if you can move it down like you said I would try that and see where that leaves you. after that maybe take it back to your rv dealer and see if they have any thoughts or recommendations , they should have pretty good experience with that. my shank seems like it has more adjustability in it than what you have pictured. your towing experience will probably be more enjoyable with the weight distribution and sway hooked up.
good luck and let us know what you come up with.
2000 dodge 2500, 2015 starcraft 14rb ar-one, 2013 jayco eagle 257rbs

mcmahonm

Post by mcmahonm » April 11th, 2015, 10:04 pm

On my Blue Ox you can move the ball mount piece up and down by removing the bolts that hold it to the receiver, this should allow you to get it even. I will not even on a travel trailer regardless of size without the WD and sway control.

I think the 2 bolts in the last picture come out and can be moved up 1 more notch. You may need a large impact gun to get them off unless you have a breaker bar and large enough socket.
2013 Chevy Silverado Z71 & 2012 Autumn Ridge 278BH
http://files.michaelmcmahon.org/VisitedStatesMap.jpg