kayak carriers

A forum to discuss tow vehicles and towing related issues.
Parkhoppers

Re: kayak carriers

Post by Parkhoppers » August 5th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Parkhoppers wrote:
Dahlmanns wrote:Any suggestions for carrying two kayaks? We are thinking of putting them on the roof of the pop up. We have some of the pool noodles and straps. We haven't found any ready made systems that look like they would work.

thanks for your help,
We are leaving in a couple weeks, we will not need to set up and break down camp more than once as we are just going to a place about 2 hours from here in Michigan.

carol

Perhaps check etrailer.com. I believe "Swagman" produces crossbars for pop-up campers.... However, (with the particular brand I'm thinking of) drilling into the roof of the camper would be required, and if your pop-up roof is fiberglass or plastic, then mounting a rack or carrying gear on top wouldn't be recommended.

Personally, we've always carried our kayaks and canoe on our vehicles with systems by Thule or Yakima. They may seem expensive, but have always been worth it. I'd rather have a safely secured load, than a lawsuit from a boat flying off my vehicle into traffic. I also like that when we are not using our boats, we can put them back on our racks and lock them up so nobody steals them. That, and having them up off the ground when we're not using them, helps keep out snakes, skunks, and creepy crawlies! We have cockpit covers for travel, but tend to leave them off for drying the kayaks after use.
Parkhoppers
2015 StarCraft AR-One 17RD

Parkhoppers

Re: kayak carriers

Post by Parkhoppers » August 5th, 2016, 4:42 pm

Oops...
Last edited by Parkhoppers on August 5th, 2016, 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parkhoppers
2015 StarCraft AR-One 17RD

Dahlmanns

kayak carriers

Post by Dahlmanns » August 5th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Any suggestions for carrying two kayaks? We are thinking of putting them on the roof of the pop up. We have some of the pool noodles and straps. We haven't found any ready made systems that look like they would work.

thanks for your help,
We are leaving in a couple weeks, we will not need to set up and break down camp more than once as we are just going to a place about 2 hours from here in Michigan.

carol