Rear view camera system

A forum to discuss tow vehicles and towing related issues.
jcarlilesiu

Re: Rear view camera system

Post by jcarlilesiu » May 24th, 2015, 11:20 pm

moallen wrote:Exactly what I need, since my 24rls came with a built-in mount for the Furrion camera. But having spent more for other RV stuff already this year, I decided to temporarily make do with one of my home Foscam IP cameras. Here's the short story. Foscam F18909W connected via Ethernet to Netgear WiFi router. Both of these units are in the trailer. The camera is fastened inside the trailer looking out the back window. IR is disabled to eliminate glare from glass. I use a browser on my Asus (Android) Tablet inside the truck to connect to the router back in the trailer via Wi-Fi. No cell or Internet costs involved.
Do you experience any lag?

My fear would be due to the device going through the internet/router, that you might be much closer to the ball hitch than you think.

mcmahonm

Post by mcmahonm » May 24th, 2015, 10:00 pm

That looks great, and thanks for the review. Been thinking of one of these myself.
2013 Chevy Silverado Z71 & 2012 Autumn Ridge 278BH
http://files.michaelmcmahon.org/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

moallen

Post by moallen » May 24th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Exactly what I need, since my 24rls came with a built-in mount for the Furrion camera. But having spent more for other RV stuff already this year, I decided to temporarily make do with one of my home Foscam IP cameras. Here's the short story. Foscam F18909W connected via Ethernet to Netgear WiFi router. Both of these units are in the trailer. The camera is fastened inside the trailer looking out the back window. IR is disabled to eliminate glare from glass. I use a browser on my Asus (Android) Tablet inside the truck to connect to the router back in the trailer via Wi-Fi. No cell or Internet costs involved.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » May 24th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Thanks for the review!
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

CenOhio

Post by CenOhio » May 24th, 2015, 3:14 am

That's a nice looking system. I don't think my 2014 was pre-wired for a camera, but, I think I could get power out of a marker light or tail light(?)

Now I just need $500 or so.
2014 Autumn Ridge 329BHU.
Places we've camped...

pawpaw

Rear view camera system

Post by pawpaw » May 23rd, 2015, 12:29 pm

I thought I would give you guys and gals an update on my camera system.

My 329BHU came wired for a Furrion camera system. I first tried the FRC12TA-BL and it did exactly what it is designed to do. It's a very good back up camera, but it didn't work very well as a rear view camera system while traveling. Although it did work, it was constantly loosing the signal or "tiling". I spoke to Derek at Furion, he was very helpful, and he told me that there was a new system designed as a rear view system. Since my system was fairly new, he offered to give me a trade in deal if I wanted to upgrade to the newer system, the FOS48TA-BL. I took him up on the offer.

My new system is now installed and it works perfectly. I can now see behind my rig while towing without any problems. It's very comforting to be able to see what's behind you, and the wide angle of the lens also helps me when passing other traffic - it's a great supplement to my side mirrors to let me know when I can pull back into my lane.

The only thing that they don't mention in the installation manual is that the TV running lights must be on to power the system. The manual also says the the camera and monitor must be paired together. Both of the systems I purchased came from the factory already paired.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the system. The installation was plug & play, and took only about 20 minutes. See the link below for more info.

http://furrion.com/camera-system/
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX