F150 Acceleration Issue

A forum to discuss tow vehicles and towing related issues.
backwardecho

Re: F150 Acceleration Issue

Post by backwardecho » April 16th, 2017, 12:26 pm

My 150 does this but maybe we don't have the same problem. I consider mine normal because I've had other vehicle do this. In town between red lights I sometimes get a clunk at lowcspeed, this is the torque converter and some normally shift harder than others. Also if I am just above or below 45 it can happen but that's just trying to settle on a gear to be in. 136k miles now.

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » January 26th, 2017, 1:41 pm

Hope it all works out, in the end. They sure don't make these things easy ...
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » January 25th, 2017, 8:35 pm

Well, apparently this is a design flaw with Ford trucks and has been an issue for several years. There is even a service notification on it, but no permanent solution. All they seem to be able to do is apply a bandage until it breaks again. This time, they said the drive shaft was fine (they've replaced that twice now) and that they think it's in the transmission even though they can't get a code and the fluid levels are all within range. Because no code and levels within range, the warranty company won't just cover it but if we pay to have it broken down they will send an inspector to take a look and, if he/she sees a problem they will pay to have it rebuilt. I was not happy with that response so called the warranty company and after yelling at the guy we ended up chatting amicably. He said we had two options - the one mentioned above, or just drive it until it generates a code. I'm able to drive it without the camper and if I only gently accelerate (not my normal MO) it never happens. My husband, however, if going to try to cause it to occur when we are towing. We'll see how it goes. But, in the mean time we are looking to trade it in. It's unfortunate, though, as I love having a Ford again. :( I guess Ford thinks that since the majority of folks don't actually haul a load heavy enough to trigger the problem that it's not worth the expense of fixing it. I do wonder, however, with the new aluminum body and upgraded frame if it has been corrected now.

lwh

Post by lwh » January 18th, 2017, 2:47 am

I'm not sure my issue was the same as yours. It took me a while to figure it out but mine did something like what you described when it downshifted to 2nd. Once I figured out it was the downshift to 2nd causing the issue, I was able to make it do it for the dealer by driving about 25mph, accelerated gently, and manually shifting it to 2nd. They rebuilt it at 35k miles and now at 125k, it's doing it again. Good luck

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » January 16th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Yes, definitely a small world and thanks for the suggestion. It's with the Ford dealership now. I'll mention the possibility of it being a transmission problem.

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » January 14th, 2017, 12:13 am

I just met some folks from leander while we were in South Padre ... they were one of the bands playing down there ... small world. I don't have an F-150, but I can assure you it isn't a problem with a drive shaft. I had an F-250 that seemed to slip in and out of gear from time to time. I had the tranny rebuilt and the problem went away. My Ford Ranger does the same thing, slip and clunk .... definitely transmission.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Zyriah

F150 Acceleration Issue

Post by Zyriah » January 13th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Greetings - we've been dealing with this issue for quite some time now and have taken our truck in twice to get it repaired. The issue still remains. I've finally narrowed the times when it occurs and have scheduled our truck for one more service, hoping this time it will finally be fixed. Apparently, this is a somewhat common problem with Ford trucks and am just wondering if anyone has experienced the same glitch. It's difficult to explain, but I'll give it a shot. When I'm driving between 40-45 mph and am in traffic so not really applying the gas and then the traffic opens up so I can accelerate the truck sort of pops. It feels like it is slipping back into gear hard. My husband describes it as a slip and clunk. We've researched and Youtube has several posts - one saying that it's a problem caused by hauling a load and that it's a problem in the drive shaft. We first noticed it when we are traveling with our camper, but it is now happening at other times as described above. Has anyone had similar problems?