Brakeaway Cable Broken

A forum to discuss tow vehicles and towing related issues.
cattzap

Re: Brakeaway Cable Broken

Post by cattzap » May 15th, 2018, 11:29 am

A side story on this subject. I had just repacked my wheel bearing before a trip. We were a couple of hours into it when we stopped for a break and fuel. The road had been repaved and the usual place we stop at had gotten the entrances changed and the angle was steeper. As I pulled in everything stopped. This was on our big 5'er. All 4 wheels locked. My thoughts went to om my I hope those bearings didn't' just all lock up. I was trying to figure out what was going on as people we all letting me know I was number one. My oldest son kept saying dad the wore is pulled out. I checked the big pigtail several times and it wasn't I decide to just drag it off the road. When i got back in the last time to do that he said dad its the other wire. Dang kid was smarter than me that day. A block had slid over and when the rig turned the breakaway cable got pulled out. Full voltage on 4 hubs and it was stopped. It happens.

RoyBraddy

Post by RoyBraddy » May 15th, 2018, 1:07 am

I ended up getting one of these CORD setups from ETRAILER.com. The coiled up version cable eliminates the cable from dragging on the road surface.

It is strange however that your KEY did not pull out of the breakaway switch and broke your cable instead. I would looking into this to make sure it is all working like it should be. You want the key to be pulled out if the trailer becomes disconnected from the truck and for some reason this did not happen here with your setup...

Be aware while you are working on this problem to not let the KEY be pulled out for very long periods of time as this does apply maximum DC voltage from your trailer battery to the Electric Brake modules. They are not designed to operate with full DC voltage for long periods of time and may burn out on you...

Roy Ken
Posts are IMHO based on experiences - PM me
CAPS does not mean I am SHOUTING
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN

cattzap

Post by cattzap » May 14th, 2018, 5:41 pm

You should review how your break away switch is mounted. if the cable breaks before the plunger pulls out, the brakes will never activate if needed.

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » September 1st, 2017, 2:50 am

Just replace the cable. I carry extra cable and parts in my stash onboard ... broke mine once too
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Dbparks2

Brakeaway Cable Broken

Post by Dbparks2 » August 20th, 2017, 4:35 pm

I forgot to undo breakaway cable when pulling away from my 2018 Launch. The cable is broken in the middle
The pluncher is still intake and not pulled out. Can I just replace cable or is further action needed?

Thanks