Happy camping!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

GaryG

Added an additional heat register

Post by GaryG » December 27th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Ever since I first tried this trailer out running the furnace, I wondered why there was only one heating register/vent close to the kitchen sink and none in the living area? There is one in the bathroom and one in the front bedroom. The bathroom ( at the rear of the trailer with the living area between the bathroom and the kitchen area) would get really warm/hot and the living area took awhile to get warm because it was so far away from the kitchen's heating register/vent and not getting any heat from the bathroom register unless I would open the bathroom door.

After checking out the accessibility of installing another heat register/vent between the bathroom and the kitchen (just under the medicine cabinet and sink, I finally got brave enough to take on the job. The hardest part was cutting the 3" whole for the new round register/vent cause I was too cheap to go out and purchase a 3" round saw blade because I knew I'd only have need for it this one time. After getting the whole drilled/cut out I put the new register in, but it was tight. I cut the foil 3" flex hose with a opening just big enough to slip it over the backside of the vent. I used the sticky foil tape that they use on furnace installations. It seemed to hold the flex hose to the new register/vent cover just fine. I reinstalled the lower cabinet door and the wooden cover panel that gave access under the sink where the slide mechanism and low point drain switches are located.

I turned on the furnace and it worked just fantastic! I kept the bathroom door closed and that end of the living room (where the double bunks are located) warmed up just fine. It also cut down on the volume of air flow just a bit in the bathroom so that it is not overwhelming when you are in the bathroom (with the door closed) while the furnace is running. The heat distribution will be so much more efficient with the new added vent/register.

I hope you all enjoyed me reporting on my little project. Interesting enough, the 2017 Starcraft trailers like mine have an additional heat register/vent very close to where I added one!

Let me know if you have questions about the installation, I'd be glad to assist in any way if any of you try this modification.

I have downloaded a few photos so you can see the finished project. I bought the new register/vent from Camping world.
Attachments
1227171236_Burst01.jpg
1227171236_Burst01.jpg (686.63 KiB) Viewed 735 times
1227171235a.jpg
1227171235a.jpg (283.56 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Last edited by GaryG on December 28th, 2017, 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho