Added 120 VAC outlet above sink

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
Sbrinson

Re: Added 120 VAC outlet above sink

Post by Sbrinson » March 31st, 2017, 12:05 am

When as many people identify a problem...or at least an inconvenience...one wonders if the RV manufacturers ever spend any serious time checking forums such as this one to learn how they might better design their products. The outlet mounted under the overhead cabinets to the extreme right of the sink, is indeed virtually unusable for many/most coffee makers that have limited-length power cords. I also didn't like the obstacle that power cords plugged into that overhead outlet posed during cooking sessions. I decided to add an outlet to the lower cabinet next to the jackknife sofa.
IMG_4780SEL.JPG
IMG_4780SEL.JPG (58.71 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
I mounted a GFI outlet in the panel next to the sofa, and fed it with a new 12/3 cable from the power panel, through the upper level of the cabinet under the sink, continuing on the underside of the counter. The coffee maker sits on the counter and the power cord just drops over the edge to the outlet.
IMG_4787SEL.JPG
IMG_4787SEL.JPG (115.74 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
We occasionally use a 12 Volt slow cooker that can be braced and placed in the sink while traveling, or placed on the range cover when stationary.
We added a 12 volt outlet to the panel where the switch for the under-counter LED strip is located. We also added 12 volt outlets under the "nightstand" counter areas on either side of the bed.
IMG_4777SELForum.JPG
IMG_4777SELForum.JPG (53.46 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
2016 Launch 24RLS
Toyota Tundra SR5

moallen

Post by moallen » March 16th, 2017, 10:59 am

When I replaced the jack knife sofa with swivel recliners, I moved the 30 amp ac junction box over to the other side of the rear under the counter. Then I installed a marine type outside connector for it. My 30 amp cord is now a removable cord.

That left my original 30 amp opening, which I now use to feed a 12 gauge extension cord through when I need to use my heater. I have stayed at a couple places that eliminated 15 amp outlets on their electrical posts to prevent using a separate cord and others that say a camper can only use one cord. If it ever gets to be a problem, I'll just build my own outside 30 amp junction box with a 15 amp outlet.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » March 13th, 2017, 12:48 am

Nice work Dave.

I am thinking about adding a new outdoor outlet on its own circuit with an associated outlet on the inside for the space heater.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

Tardis-1

Post by Tardis-1 » March 11th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I also tapped microwave circuit for toaster/coffee pot. I don’t know why ALL AC outlets are on ONE 15A breaker. Well, yes I do … cost.

I actually first removed the microwave outlet and thru-the-wall microwave cord and made the connection internally in the microwave space. I modded again to tap the microwave circuit, and ran 2nd Romex thru the under-cabinet space to the existing outlet position. I replaced the outlet with a new GFCI, since I ‘lost’ the GFCI protection of the 15A circuit.

We also seldom use the microwave, and the ‘rule’ is no microwave/toaster/coffee pot at the same time.

Similarity, I tapped the 20A air conditioning circuit, ran Romex thru the ceiling, down the wall in one of those plastic wire conduit channels, and installed a dedicated electric heater. Actually I took a space heater and did a built-in install running to that dedicated outlet. And no, never will we use air conditioning and electric heater at the same time.

Now we have three branches for high current items. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure all electrical devices. We can run electric heater (low setting) on 20A branch 1, toaster AND coffee pot on 20A branch 2, and all lower powered stuff (fan, TV, USB chargers) on 15A branch 3, all at the same time, and NOT exceed the 30A primary breaker rating.

Works great. We do cold weather camping. Used to pop breaker now and then if we forgot and used toaster/coffee when electric heater was on, but no more.
Dave

Papa/Nana/2grandchildren
2007 Ford Explorer (Dora)
2015 Launch 16RB (Tardis-1)

GaryG

Post by GaryG » March 10th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Great idea. I didn't even think of that. This forum is fantastic when the members get involved and post their clever ideas! Thanks :D
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

DawnK

Post by DawnK » March 10th, 2017, 10:36 pm

We also had a Coffee Pot "Issue".
Our 245DS has a well placed outlet in the wall right above the spot on the counter where we place our coffee maker. There's also an outlet in the side wall of the cabinet on the other side of the sink. BUT, all these outlets are on the same GFCI circuit.
Since we like to use an electric radiator type of space heater in the colder months, and we also sometimes use a toaster at breakfast, we were concerned about having too many heat generating appliances on that circuit and tripping the breaker.
So we did the same thing we had previously done in our last camper and found a way to run our coffee pot on the dedicated circuit for the microwave.
In our current camper, the outlet for the microwave is located in the wall inside the cabinet above the sink. My DH took the single receptacle out and put in a duplex. The he put a new longer cord on our coffee maker which allows us to run the cord up inside the door of the cabinet and over to the microwave outlet and plug it in.
We rarely use the microwave and just make sure that we don't use it while the coffee is brewing.
Sure wish they could have had 2 circuits for the outlets so you could operate more than one small appliance without overloading the circuit tripping the breaker.
-Dawn K
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 245DS
2017 Chevy Express 2500

GaryG

Post by GaryG » August 15th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Zyriah wrote:We went with an easier solution, but I'm also fine with the coffee being to the right of the sink. I purchased one of those shelf dividers/risers that's about 4" tall and set up the coffee maker on top with extra storage underneath for the coffee. I found it weird that the plug isn't located along the wall and that riser brings the coffee maker up to the right height for the cord to reach the overhead plug.
We noticed on our first camping trip a week ago that our coffee maker's electrical cord was too short for the overhead outlets as well. Your idea for a shelf sounds great. I think we even have one that we did not use in the trailer that should work just perfectly. It will give a little space under the shelf as well for storage. Thanks for the idea. Otherwise we were just going to rig up a messy extension cord to solve the problem.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » August 1st, 2016, 12:25 am

RoyBraddy wrote:On my STARCRAFT 14RT the outside outlet in under GFCI control from the cabinet top by the fold-over sink. I hope you didn't go around the GFCI connecting it directly to the Breaker panel...

I guess I only have four 120VAC Outlets in my trailer.

I really don't know if they are all slaved to one cabinet GFCI or not... I probably should push my GFCI button and see which 120VAC outlets goes off...

Roy Ken
Most of the time that is the case.

One gfci is wired to a panel circuit and the rest of the outlets are wired through the gfci. If power at a slave outlet is not there, usually the gfci on another outlet tripped.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

RoyBraddy

Post by RoyBraddy » July 30th, 2016, 4:01 pm

On my STARCRAFT 14RT the outside outlet in under GFCI control from the cabinet top by the fold-over sink. I hope you didn't go around the GFCI connecting it directly to the Breaker panel...

I guess I only have four 120VAC Outlets in my trailer.

I really don't know if they are all slaved to one cabinet GFCI or not... I probably should push my GFCI button and see which 120VAC outlets goes off...

Roy Ken
Posts are IMHO based on experiences - PM me
CAPS does not mean I am SHOUTING
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » July 14th, 2016, 1:35 pm

We went with an easier solution, but I'm also fine with the coffee being to the right of the sink. I purchased one of those shelf dividers/risers that's about 4" tall and set up the coffee maker on top with extra storage underneath for the coffee. I found it weird that the plug isn't located along the wall and that riser brings the coffee maker up to the right height for the cord to reach the overhead plug.