How long does it take to cool YOUR unit? Ours 10-12hours?

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
skippy2

Re: How long does it take to cool YOUR unit? Ours 10-12hours?

Post by skippy2 » November 18th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Hello Everyone--Sorry for no update or comments since the end of summer. Hurricanes have kept us busy as we got hammered with Matthew in October

My handy husband took off the return thingy and checked to see whether or not anything was blocking the system.

No obstruction.

We had to" rig it" to force and I do mean force the air flow DOWN into the cabin by using metal squares stuck UP inside the main return area. I looks awful but we don't care.

Our bedroom is the last area to be cooled off (yes we cover windows YES we use fans) and the only way to do that is to close our: rig job' in our main cabin once again forcing all ac to go back thru the cabin and down thru 1 single tiny vent.

Honest to Pete we LOVE our travel trailer lay out, the colors, the large bathroom area, great kitchen and storage is abundant. We also didn't mind moving the "bedroom above the head shelf" up up up and we didn't mind moving the bedroom entrance area forward to allow a little more room to get in and out. We are slender, not thin more average. I would imagine not all couples would move in and out easy without the wall being moved forward.

It is the unforeseen stuff that has become a nuisance most of all the AC taking 10 to 12 hours to cool and having only one small circular vent in our bedroom does not cool the room. And there is no vents in the bunk area.

Bright side is the heat works very well and there are plenty of floor vents to keep us warm.

So we live and learn. We know now what is very important to us.

Dan

Post by Dan » August 25th, 2016, 10:12 pm

New member here, just wanted to check in. I bought a 26BHS AR ONE MAXX, first trailer that's not older then dirt. It has 2 AC units and it takes hours to cool also. Will take it back to dealer in Step. to fix a few things we found on our first few camping trips. Over all I will have to say we are happy with our unit.

skippy2

Post by skippy2 » August 14th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Hi everyone who is interested in the AC post.

We took our AR/MAX ONE to the dealer and it sat for almost 2 weeks (of course it is a busy time of year, we understand ) they said the unit is running at proper temps and proper function :shock: and WE are good to go. Must be imaginary on our part, right?

Welp it's Sunday afternoon and we should be at the beach for a week but NOOOOO we are home after 48hours of no air flow in the single bedroom 3inch diameter vent and the best strongest air flow in the bathroom. Guess we could have all slept in the tub. Yes, we closed the back of the unit to push air flow to the bedroom. The outside temp at the beach was 88 and the inside temp in our unit was 84...I Kid you not. We screen shot the weather channel temp with our location on TV AND a thermometer I bought for this reason.

Needless to say we are not happy campers with our brand new unit. We have gone up and down the south coast from VA to SC and it is not just at one site that may have hook up electrical problems, it is everywhere including our home.

Just wanted to give an update per Camping World experts giving the unit thumbs UP, FULL STEAM ahead, no pun intended.

**this unit has a very small cold/hot air return**

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I really REALLY do hope everyone has a much better experience with their AC flow and cooling then we have.
Since we live in the south mostly 10months out of 12, AC is very important to buyers. We all know cooling units 20degrees should be about what we can expect. Then give us what we are told the unit will do.

skippy2

Post by skippy2 » July 31st, 2016, 10:07 pm

Hi everyone...It is SOOOOO nice to get help from many of you.

Husband turned on the unit Saturday and the AC did NOT work. Thankfully we were not traveling. We couldn't check any suggestions you all provided us.

We were told by Dealership Camping World our experience is NOT normal and to bring it in right away "STARCRAFT" stands behind their product we were told. Lets hope it is an easy quick fix.

When we hear the out come I will be sure to let you all know. Just in case it happens to one of you.

Thanks again.

moallen

Post by moallen » July 30th, 2016, 9:59 am

Thanks tslarson. That's good to know about the divider coming loose. We seem to always find the worst roads to travel. Sometimes I open the door and expect to find half the cabinets on the floor. In fact, our main floor is squeaking pretty bad again. It was successfully fixed under warranty, but I suspect our last trip loosened something up again.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

tslarson

Post by tslarson » July 29th, 2016, 3:47 am

I had a similar problem, the unit seemed to work but took forever to cool down. I found that under the ceiling grill there was a insulation board divider separating the cold outlet from the warm air return. The board was not well secured in a vertical position and had tipped down allowing the warm and cold air to combine. I re-positioned the board and used aluminum tape to hold and seal it in place. The hardest part was to actually identify that the board was out of place, I had the grill off several times before I noticed it.
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

pawpaw

Post by pawpaw » July 28th, 2016, 9:43 am

Here are a few things to consider:
1) Do you have some sort of covering on the windows like that reflective insulated stuff?
2) Are any skylights covered?
3) Try closing and covering the bathroom vent with a piece of 2" thick foam
4) Is there constant in and out activity through the door?
5) Have you checked the A/C filter?
That's all I can think of for now.
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

rbrent

Post by rbrent » July 28th, 2016, 1:03 am

I have a 24RLS and my camper can set for weeks in the 80 to 90 degree weather and when we get to camp and turn on the air it is cold within 2 hours so I'm assuming there is something not right!
Bob and Margaret
2015 Launch Ultra Light 24RLS
2016 Chevrolet 1500 Double Cab
Westland, Michigan

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » July 28th, 2016, 12:25 am

Get yerself one of them laser pointer temperature guns. The air coming out of the AC unit should be at least 15-20 degrees colder than the air going into the AC unit.

1- Point the laser gun at any object in the coach as it should be the same temperature as the air.
2- Run the AC for 5 minutes
3- Point the gun at the outgoing fins of the AC unit. The fins should be very close to the outgoing air temp.
4- Let us know what you find.

Does the rooftop unit have good air flow?

Have you checked the intake area for a clean filter or blockage from construction debris?
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

skippy2

How long does it take to cool YOUR unit? Ours 10-12hours?

Post by skippy2 » July 27th, 2016, 4:31 pm

We have an AIRMAX One 27ft bunkhouse. NEW 2016 and we live in the south where temps during the summer on average 95 easy.

Before we pull out of the drive way we start our house generator, turn on the units AC and run the unit 8 to 12 hours. You know loading, stocking and last minute cleaning. WE open the bathroom vent to help push out the hot air and we now resorted to placing standing fans to assist.

OFF we go maybe 2-3 hours away. PLUG IN and I kid you not we are dying inside we for the 1st 24hour period.

YES we closed off vents to PUSH the air to the front of the unit. YES we called starcraft for trouble shooting and YES Husband checked for blockage in air ducts.

Is it normal to take 24hours to cool a average size unit? Our Casscade was the same size and that old trailer froze us out.

Any suggestions OR did we get a dud. By the way I am still waiting for that "TICKET" from StarCraft and it has been weeks....ugh. WE just want to go to the beach.