2 years of modfications

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
pawpaw

Re: 2 years of modfications

Post by pawpaw » September 29th, 2016, 11:34 am

Nice mods. I've done many of the same things to our 329BHU also.
Instead of adding an additional towel bar, I just stuck Command hooks up everywhere - bathroom, bunkhouse, master, kitchen, etc. It seems that the more hooks we have the more stuff my DW finds to hang up, lol.
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

scottenj

2 years of modfications

Post by scottenj » September 29th, 2016, 4:50 am

I have now had my unit (Autumn Ridge 329BH) for 2 years and have taken 7 trips, typically 7 to 9 days per trip.

1) One thing I noticed right away is that the unit bounces around too much especially when my kids are in the bunk house. I installed a SteadyFast RV Stabilizer System for 5th Wheels and Camper Trailers plus I use Camco 44622 Wheel Stop (Large) on both side. Together it made a big difference.
2) My unit came pre-wired for a backup camera but I couldn't get the manufacturer to commit to when I would get it (a common complaint with the company) and I had a big trip coming up driving solo. A bought a Voyager WVOS511 Wireless Back-Up Observation System with 5.6" Color LCD on amazon. It is a wireless camera so all you need is power at the camera. I took the original bracket off, put the new bracket on and connected to the existing wire. The whole project took about 15 minutes and I immediately got a picture when I plugged the camera into the power outlet in my truck. Having said that I almost never use it, I have just gotten comfortable backing up.
3) I put a TireTech On TP7002 Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System w/ 6 Brass Transmitters 0-232 psi on the camper. Trailer tires run at very high loads and if they go flat they can heat up so much they catch on fire. With dual axles you might not know if a tire is low or flat. The tire pressure measurement system monitors pressure and temperature.
4) I put a Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve on the waste output for my camper. This way I can take the cap off and hook up my waste hose and even if a valve leaked or I forgot to close one there is no waste backed up against the cap to come pouring out (don't ask).
5) I don't understand why a unit that sleeps 8 to 10 people has one towel bar. I ordered 2 more from Starcraft and they sent me 2 but only enough stand-off posts to mount one, so now I have two bars with a third planned.
6) I don't find the queen size bed all that comfortable but a memory foam mattress topper from BJs took care of that. The only problem is the bed is now heavy enough that it doesn't stay up when I access the storage space underneath.
7) We dry camp a lot, when we do I have four things I bring:
- One is a Go power 120 watt solar panel. My camper came with a Zamp connector but they were sold out on panels when I got my camper. The Go power comes with a quick disconnect to hook to the battery. With any reasonable sun light it keeps the camper battery charged easily.
- If I want to run AC I have two Honda 2000EU generators that I can hook in parallel for 4000 watts. The Hondas are expensive but worth it, incredibly quiet, fuel efficient and make perfect power. By using the two they are both light enough to easily take in and out of the bed of my truck. You have to make sure one is the companion model to parallel them and you need the parallel kit.
- I mounted a 15 gallon drinking water barrel (blue poly) to a hand truck and mounted a shurflow pump and tubing with a long cord onto a board that holds onto the top with velcro. I have a spare deep cycle battery I bring with soem alligator clip connectors. At campgrounds without hookups I wheel it to the nearest faucet, fill it up and then take it back to the camper and pump the water into the camper.
- I have a 40 gallon waste tote with an arm that attaches to a trailer hitch to tow it to a dump station.

Those are the big things.