Vortex 2 replacement fan

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
Hotrock59

Re: Vortex 2 replacement fan

Post by Hotrock59 » September 2nd, 2017, 9:41 am

Have posted this mod using a Maxxair 7000K vent fan, it is a more expensive but believe me it is well worth the extra money for what you gain, copy and paste this link to take a look at it : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z ... UTF8&psc=1, it is the most versatile fan I have ever installed. And in my Starcraft Satellite I used the bathroom light for supply voltage tapping the 12vdc wires, took longer to scrape all the lap sealant off the roof used to seal the stock vent than to do the entire swap.............A bonus is that my wife who is 4' 7" loves the remote, she can actually operate the fan without dragging her step stool out, happy wife happy life!
2017 Honda Ridgeline and 2018 Starcraft Satellite 16KS

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » February 25th, 2017, 3:02 am

I just ordered a vortex 2, myself! This thread has been very interesting. I also plan to drop an on/off switch to the wall, next to my light switch. I too, will report back.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

pawpaw

Post by pawpaw » February 23rd, 2017, 10:24 am

I ordered the Vortex 2 from Amazon yesterday for about $58.00 delivered. At that price, I think it's worth a shot. I'll let the forum know what I think after installation and a month or so of usage.
Happy Camping!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

Tardis-1

Post by Tardis-1 » February 22nd, 2017, 6:11 pm

Yes, I have installed it. I had a non-fan vent only. As far as the Vortex fan goes, it was a simple swap into the same ‘under hole’ as was the vent flashing. I liked not having to mess with the outside cover.

It effectively moves the cover control gearing and has its own gear knob. It works, but I still use it carefully.

I got mine from Amazon. Big heads up though, that there was an early version and a later version. I first got an early version and the fan had vibration. Sent it back and got a newer version (luck of the draw from stock). There was still some vibration.

The fan is not perfectly centered or balanced. You get what you pay for. I found it to be a common complaint on the web. But I accepted it as it was lower cost and I could just replace the bottom vent flashing without a complete rebuilt install.

I stole power from the nearby bathroom light. I went WAY overboard and completely rewired a dual position wall switch for the light (using a A/C type wall switch), and a three position switch, center-off, upper position full +12, lower position gets its feed from a fan-speed-controller circuit board, all stuffed into the wall. But that’s a whole other story.

It does draw air through the opened windows as I can feel a slight breeze. It is not the quality of the high-cost full replacement fan, so you’ll have to decide performance over easy installation.
Dave

Papa/Nana/2grandchildren
2007 Ford Explorer (Dora)
2015 Launch 16RB (Tardis-1)

treatcg

Post by treatcg » February 21st, 2017, 1:46 pm

I haven't done it yet but plan to once I take delivery of my 27BHU. I am going with the Vortex 2 because it is a lot easier to install and easier on the wallet. Looks pretty easy to install.
Clayton
2016 Ford F250 FX4 6.7
2017 StarCraft Launch Ultra Lite 27BHU Elite
2015 Jayco SLX 267BHSW (sold)

pawpaw

Vortex 2 replacement fan

Post by pawpaw » February 21st, 2017, 12:04 pm

I was going to replace my bathroom vent fan with a Fantastic Fan, but then I came across the Vortex 2 replacement fan. Has anyone replaced their bathroom fan with one of these? It sure looks like an easier install and it's much less expensive. Everything is done from the inside of the TT instead of having to remove the entire old unit from the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZab3lJJBw
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX