Air conditioner removal (wall)

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
cattzap

Re: Air conditioner removal (wall)

Post by cattzap » November 2nd, 2020, 1:26 pm

There was a sheet metal piece under the ac. Looks like it was some kind of drain pan. The ac unit was glued down to it with silicone caulk. It was a chore breaking that loose.

cattzap

Post by cattzap » November 2nd, 2020, 1:21 pm

The wall mounted ac wasn't enough to keep up with the hot Texas summers, and it would not circuital air up to the front bunk, so i removed mine and added a rooftop unit. Much better air circulation now and way more capacity. The vent above it is a fridge vent. My guess is it's there for other models with larger fridges. Although it has a screen on it, lots of small tree debris was getting through it and was collecting on top of my ac unit. The vent was letting a lot of outside air back into the camper that was very hot. Once I started dealing with the ac in the wall, how it's mounted is very bad. A good portion of the heat it was producing on the back side was being vented out of the sides of the ac unit, and was being sent back into the inside of the camper due to bad sealing around the unit. The idea is good, but the way the factory decided to install them was not. I have sealed off the wall opening, insulated it, and moved my tv over to this location. I like this much better and the cooling is far batter. Another area to look at it the fridge below it. It is not sealed very well and a lot of heat/cooling escapes around it. On a sunny day, go inside and turn off all the lights, close the blinds and look all around the fridge. You will see all the air leaks where the light is coming in.

Gydd

Post by Gydd » August 17th, 2020, 5:17 pm

Why would you want to remove the A.C.

fishin4fire24

Post by fishin4fire24 » June 27th, 2020, 1:38 pm

were you able to remove the unti. I cannot figure out how to remove the ac from the wall.

tcbro

Post by tcbro » June 16th, 2018, 2:56 am

I was just looking at this today. My wall mounted A/C unit seems to have some sort of vent (?) through the roof. Is there some sort of unit on your roof directly over the A/C? There would probably be some sort of connection there. I'm not looking to remove the A/C, I was looking for a way to run wires from solar panels down to the regulator and the battery. I didn't go any further with that route.
Tom
2016 AR-One 17TH
2009 GMC Sierra

rickclark050

Air conditioner removal (wall)

Post by rickclark050 » May 29th, 2018, 2:09 am

Hello, I recently purchased an AR One and it came with an air conditioner mounted on the wall. I wish to remove it since my climate doesn't make one necessary. I removed all the screws from the front, but it won't budge. Are there more screws on the back or from the top?