Refrigerator Vent Screens

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
tslarson

Re: Refrigerator Vent Screens

Post by tslarson » October 18th, 2015, 11:31 am

Great Idea in making your own screens. I thought about buying the screens, but never have had much problem with mud daubers and such. Now to keep mice out, I had never considered that. Thanks for the idea.
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

Houston Remodeler

Re: Refrigerator Vent Screens

Post by Houston Remodeler » October 14th, 2015, 4:06 am

ROund these parts we have Mud daubers that will build a nest of mud the size of a softball. Insect screens are a must.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

moallen

Refrigerator Vent Screens

Post by moallen » October 13th, 2015, 6:26 pm

The holes in the refrigerator vent are plenty large enough for mice to enter - about 1". Don't ask me how they can scale the wall. I haven't had it happen, but others have had them get in that way. Camco sells screen inserts for these vents to the tune of $25. Must be a 500% profit margin! I bought $2 worth of 1/4" hardware cloth and made my own in 1/2 hour. I secured them with tie-wraps just like Camco.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of running appliances with vent screens in place, at least ones with screen small enough to keep insects out. I had trouble with my furnace shutting down in my last RV with the furnace screen in place. It must have restricted the air flow just enough to cause a problem. I got into the habit of putting the screens on in storage but removing them when camping.

In any case, I don't think 1/4" hardware cloth will cause a air flow problem. A few clothes dryer sheets seems to keep the bugs out during storage.
Refrig_Vent.jpg
Refrig_Vent.jpg (165.66 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio