We LOVE our camper except for Bed "clunk a head" room

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements

Re: We LOVE our camper except for Bed "clunk a head" room

Post by 001 » April 11th, 2016, 7:39 pm

I have the autumn ridge 289BHS and haven't had the problem you are. I wonder if I have a little more room. The layout looks to be pretty much the same.

jcarlilesiu

Post by jcarlilesiu » April 11th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Can you lay in the bed the opposite way so your feet are at the other end?

Just a simple thought.
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL

oldenuftoknowbetter

Post by oldenuftoknowbetter » April 11th, 2016, 6:15 pm

That shelf/closet layout is a standard design feature on front master bedroom trailers pretty much across the spectrum of TT manufacturers.
If you are worried about structural integrity, contact Starcraft and tell them what you want to do. Ask if this will affect the rigidity of the trailer structure.

The link is below. Starcraft is very good about answering questions and lending assistance.

http://www.starcraftrv.com/contact/
2013 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.0L w/factory tow package
2016 Starcraft Launch UltraLite 26BHS w/ Reese WDH

skippy2

We LOVE our camper except for Bed "clunk a head" room

Post by skippy2 » April 11th, 2016, 3:49 pm

We purchased our 2016 StarCraft AIR-MAXX 27BHS ( Bunkhouse) approx. 1 1/2 months ago and lOVE everything about it with the exception of the master bedroom. We knew it was a very small sleeping room. But 90percent of our camper had everything we needed.

OMG if only, IF ONLY we would have laid down a few times to get the full effect 'going to bed and waking UP experience" chances are we would have stayed away from this layout.

On each side of the bed there is a very LOOOONNNGGG counter which is mostly useless (sorry I do not want to sound like a complainer) is 1/2 way in length along side queen bed. You need double the normal human arm length just to make the bed. OK, I will suck that up. But if I could I would cut/saw or remove it all together.

Above the area where your head will rest on your pillow is a shelf with two led lights. It appears to be a stabilizer holding the unit. ???? I did see on this forum where a man made doors for this shelf. GREAT job by the way but it does not stop the overall problem of hitting heads for us. In order to get IN or OUT of the bed you must skoot down towards the doorway/curtain area/ so you don't clonk your head. The clothing door on each side of the bed is from the TOP of the roof and goes down to the top of the mattress. GOOD GRIEF it is like sleeping inside a box.

Does anyone know 1. Can we remove/cut out that stupid shelf above the bed ---I am ready to take a hatchet to it and 2. has anyone modified the two elongated closet doors bedside the bed without running into major problems?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading. We really do love our camper but I am ready to sleep on the dinette pull out. :P Or maybe sleep with our heads at the bottom of the mattress.