Modification of "clonk a head" over head shelf SUCCESS

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
Houston Remodeler

Re: Modification of "clonk a head" over head shelf SUCCESS

Post by Houston Remodeler » June 14th, 2016, 4:18 pm

You're welcome. I'm glad to have a positive impact on the world whenever possible.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

skippy2

Re: Modification of "clonk a head" over head shelf SUCCESS

Post by skippy2 » May 10th, 2016, 10:45 pm

I must stand corrected AND say I am so sorry.

HOUSTON Remodeler is the Gentleman who added the beautiful doors to his over bed shelf.

I am sorry Houston I made this error.

skippy2

skippy2

Modification of "clonk a head" over head shelf SUCCESS

Post by skippy2 » May 10th, 2016, 10:28 pm

We have a 2016 AR-MAXX 30ft bunkhouse we love! Only problem was master bedroom overhead shelf sat very low (to us) and getting in and out of bed resulted in "clonk a head" . *note, we bought a queen size pillow top mattress NOT a travel trailer queen mattress that comes with the unit**
I hated it so much I was ready to return the Travel Trailer and walk away.

StarCraft reported to us they believed the unit was properly installed after reviewing photos we emailed so it was now up to us to modify or deal with clonking our heads.

I looked at Paw Paws ("THANK YOU PAW PAW") pictures right here on this site (he added beautiful doors to the over head shelf) that showed me that his over head shelf was installed above his door handles. Hmmmm, that was validating to us that ours was off by a lot.OURS was much lower than paw paws. FYI

We also removed the 2 side wardrobes and cut them shorter in length from TOP to bottom. We used where we wanted the long metal clothing bar to be placed as our guide,, by hanging a shirt and bam that is where we cut the modification.

There is so more room on the side tables now. And we will no longer bang our arms during the night. Back to the wardrobe, This modification is perfect for us since most of our travel is during the summer so we do not travel with heavy coats and winter clothing. Longer or bulker clothes could be hung up in the large wardrobe near the bathroom area. I can still hang a ladies blouse or neatly placed sun dresses inside the bedroom wardrobe if I wanted to.

Total days to complete is appox 6 days working on the unit maybe 3hours a day.

Most of the shelf and wardrobe is attached by staples 95percent and glue 5percent. The bottom of the wardrobe shelf had an L nailer. (what ever that is) AND most importantly modifying did not interfere with the integrality of the camper. I was afraid the camper would fall apart OR re attaching items would poke thru to the outside.

WE moved (husbands did all the work) the overhead shelf UP 10inches. WOW what difference this makes. Also leaving plenty of room for sweatshirts OR in front of the campfire blankets. Same things we used that space for prior to the modification.

Honestly we are thrilled by making the decision to move this shelf UP and whacking off the long long wardrobes. It was a very scary decision but a leap I am over the moon we took.
NOW Husband wants to add a pocket door and remove the Curtin and Curtin track.. :o

Oh, we ordered soft LED bulbs for under the shelf. NO problems with cutting the wires and we will hook that up when our bulbs arrive from the dealer.
If anyone needs technical help I will have my husband help you out.

YIPEE I am now a very happy and grateful camper. Don't be scared to do this project IF you have thought about it. Little to no cost since we used the materials taken down.

Skippy2