Inverter Install

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
moallen

Re: Inverter Install

Post by moallen » May 31st, 2016, 11:31 pm

Just a thought - while the 120VAC and the 12VDC sections are both integrated into the WF-8735, there is a separate 120VAC breaker for the builtin converter/charger. In fact sometimes, I trip the breaker if I'm camping for a long time so that it doesn't overcharge or sulfate the battery. Anyway, a person ought to be able to use that circuit with the transfer switch's charger connection.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio

jcarlilesiu

Inverter Install

Post by jcarlilesiu » May 28th, 2016, 9:55 pm

I recently purchased a gopower! 1500 watt high surge inverter. Additionally, I got a 30 amp automatic transfer switch. I am preparing to install everything into my Launch 16rb, and I think I have a problem.

The 16rb comes with a all-in-one converter and AC power panel. Its a WFCO WF-8735 power center.

It works well enough, is a three stage charge, and I would like to keep it if possible.

I am trying to wire the inverter into the system with with an automatic transfer switch, so that if I hook up to shore power or my mobile generator, the inverter shuts off and the batteries start to recharge. Seems simple enough right? The problem is, the automatic transfer switch relies on the AC Panel breakers to be separate from the converter charger. Here is the installation diagram from gopower!

So, I have a couple of options. Remove the current inverter charger and replace with a separate AC panel and separate converter. That will allow me to wire it up the way gopower! shows in the diagram. Or, I can add a new sub-breaker panel, pulling out the circuits that I want the inverter to run, but I am unsure how to have those same circuits run once I connect to shore power.

Urgh. Anybody do this before. What should I do?
2014 Starcraft 16RB - Camper | 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL