ShurFlo Water Pump

A place to discuss non-OEM upgrades and improvements
pawpaw

Re: ShurFlo Water Pump

Post by pawpaw » June 2nd, 2016, 10:01 am

Great post! I've had the same problem with the fresh water tank filling up when hooked up to a fresh water line twice now in the past 1-1/2 years. When I thought about what could possibly be causing this I came up with the same thing you did - it had to be a problem with the pump. I just haven't gotten around to checking it yet. Guess I need to get out of the recliner and take care of business, lol.
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

tslarson

Re: ShurFlo Water Pump

Post by tslarson » June 1st, 2016, 10:45 pm

Great info! I always wondered where they put that check valve. Should of figured that it would be part of the pump.
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

moallen

ShurFlo Water Pump

Post by moallen » June 1st, 2016, 6:15 pm

This isn't so much a mod but a repair. I think most Starcrafts have a ShurFlo Model 4008-101-A65 water pump. Last winter in Florida I had a problem with city water flowing backward through my water pump and gradually overfilling the fresh water tank. It wasn't a gusher. I would estimate maybe a gallon per hour was getting through the turned off pump.

I was pretty sure the check valve built into the ShurFlo pump had some sort of debris stuck under the valve. The trailer is only a year old, so I didn't see how the pump could be worn out.

As a temporary solution, I just closed the water valve in the line between the intake side of the pump and the fresh water tank. This is the valve you close when winterizing the water system.

This week I finally got around to removing the pump and taking it apart. The check valve is located under the switch. There is a set screw in the switch assembly and also one in the valve to the lower right. These are for setting what pressure turns the pump on and off. I wouldn't adjust them without a good reason and a good pressure gauge.
IMG_2740.JPG
IMG_2740.JPG (70.96 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Switch removed exposing check valve.
IMG_2741.JPG
IMG_2741.JPG (79.53 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Check valve parts.
IMG_2743.JPG
IMG_2743.JPG (70.29 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
ShurFlo sells a check valve rebuild kit part # 94-800-03 for about $12. But the o-ring on the right side of the photo is about the only thing that could cause this issue. I would think a person could get one at a hardware store. I just cleaned my parts, even though I didn't see any evidence of dirt or buildup. We did have a lot of calcium in the water where we stayed last winter.

In any case, cleaning it did the trick. No more backflow.
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio