Fredricksburg va

Conversations about camping locations in the Southeast. (AK, LA, MS, TN, AL, GA, KY, WV, VA, NC, SC, FL)
GoWest

Re: Fredricksburg va

Post by GoWest » May 9th, 2018, 4:53 am

Closest national park campground is Prince William Forest National Park, 21 miles north of Fredericksburg on I-95. The primitive sites within the park never fill up, but of course they have no hook-ups. On the northern boundary of the park, on State Highway 234, you can camp at the Prince William Forest Park Campground -- this is operated by a vendor and costs about $40 a night with full 30 amp hook-ups. This location offers excellent access to the tourist sites in both Fredericksburg and Washington DC. You also have direct access to 30 miles+ hiking trails in the national forest.

If you have military access, look into the Ft. A.P. Hill campground -- 22 miles south of Fredericksburg in rural Caroline County. Supremely quiet, peaceful campground -- you can walk for miles in the evening and never see a vehicle. Another great choice: Lake Anna State Park, 26 miles southwest of Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County.

Unfortunately the Marine Corps Base Quanitco closed the RV park at Lunga Lake several years ago, and it will not reopen. There is a private RV park in Stafford about 15 miles north of Fredericksburg (Aquia Pines), but it is expensive ($46 to $62 a night for an RV site with varying types of hook-ups).

Hope you enjoy your reunion and visit in historic Fredericksburg VA!

RoyBraddy

Re: Fredricksburg va

Post by RoyBraddy » February 14th, 2018, 2:48 pm

Sorry no one from here has responded to your question...

Fredericksburg has a KOA just south of town but it is usually filled up with transit type campers. The camp sites are pretty tight as well...

There is another small camp site north of of town in between I95 and US1... It is a nice camp gorund but you have truck traffic noise from the Interstate all night long haha...

Also North of town near the QUANTICO BASE is a great camping spot just off I95 (West side)... Forget its name... We have stayed there a few times...

My favorite local camp ground is Westmoreland State Park but it will be around 50miles to the East of Fredericksburg. This is right on the Potomac River and is a very nice camp ground. Great for hiking, hanging out on the beach or over-looking the River. Lots of Deer at dusk...

There are a couple of other lake camp site to SW at the LAKE ANNA area but again not real close to town...

We also camp alot at LOFT MTN Camp Ground up on SKYLINE DRIVE which is a couple of hours away from town. Another great spot up that way is Sherando Lake which was originally a big TENT camp ground. Love that place as we still do tent camping as well...

Best thing to do is go to GOOGLE MAP search and place RV CAMPGROUNDs into the search form. Will show up all the various camp grounds on the map as you move around. Then you can click on them for more info... We like to ZOOM down on Google Maps using SAT VIEW to get a good idea how the camp grounds are laid out...

We mostly camp OFF-GRID and love to go behind Harrisonburg VA up in the geroge Washington Natl Forest area. The wooded Virginia /West Virginia state line border goes through here and it is high mtn country. Great get-away camping for us... One spot you can see on the maps is called FLAGPOLE KNOB off of one the Forest Service roads. Great spot to camp off-grid style...

Roy Ken
Posts are IMHO based on experiences - PM me
CAPS does not mean I am SHOUTING
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN

uct

Fredricksburg va

Post by uct » February 9th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Will be there for a family reunion in June. Wife side. Looking for a nice campground that is not too far away recomendations please
Gary and Karla Beagles Maddux and Smoltz
2013 f 150 5.0 crew tow package
2016 24 rls