South Dakota

Conversations about camping locations in the Northeast. (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MO, IA, MN, ND, SD, NE, KS)
pawpaw

Re: South Dakota

Post by pawpaw » July 26th, 2016, 12:48 am

Coming form the Austin area you won't have any problem with any of the highways at all. All are good roads with gentle grades up and down. You can use Google Maps to plan your route, or use the Good Sam Trip Planning website. http://www.goodsamclub.com/travel/freetriprouting/
Don't miss the beautiful drive on hwy 16A, also called Iron Mountain Road. There are a few very narrow one lane tunnels, so you'll want to leave your TT at the campsite.
http://www.ironmountainroad.com/
Safe travels!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » July 25th, 2016, 6:01 pm

We've made reservations at Beaver Lake Campground also in Custer. They have several pull-through full-service sites and the site we have is at the end (so a bit more private) and looks into the woods according to their site map.

We just purchased a Rand McNally RV GPS, but I will definitely also download the RV Parks app.

thanks again for all the tips/info!

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » July 24th, 2016, 1:51 am

There's literally an app for that totally map driven .... I use an app called "RV Parks" it has a LOT of RV parks in it, as well as locations of the RV friendly Gas stations Pilot, Loves (Dump Stations) and others and retail stores, like Walmart, REI, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sams, Costco, etc. AND it shows locations and contact info for RV Parks all over the country, including Local Government and State/Nat parks.

Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rv-park ... 32449?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

secal48

Post by secal48 » July 23rd, 2016, 8:16 pm

We were just there last week and loved it. We stayed at Big Pines Campground in Custer and the owners are fabulous. If you are traveling with kids there isn't much for them to do there. There is a small play area, but no pool. But for adults it's quiet, peaceful and relatively private. The sites were a good size for a private campground and level. And the owner will help spot you into the site quickly and friendly. We loved looking at trees out of our windows instead of other campers and watching deer walk by about 10 feet away from us. Enjoy your trip.
2017 Launch 24RLS
2012 Dodge Durango

Parkhoppers

Post by Parkhoppers » July 19th, 2016, 10:54 pm

Zyriah wrote:That looks so fun. We'll have to figure out what we'll do with our fur babies, though.

Does anyone recommend options for routing information? We're getting a Rand McNally GPS, but I like maps and want to pre-plan everything possible. So, is there a site like mapquest specifically for campers?

We're cheap'o travelers, so whenever we're traveling cross country we spend our nights on the road at Pilot/Flying J, TA, Petro, etc. So I use the RV brochures and maps I've acquired at those places. I use them to plot out what's available near our planned overnight stops. Pilot/Flying J used to have a "trip planner" on their website, but I can't find it there now. I only saw a phone App that's available now, which we've never used.

Our favorite route to the Black Hills is from the south (we travel from Tennessee), and we especially liked cutting across Nebraska on secondary roads. Points of interest along the way are Courthouse & Jail Rocks near Bridgeport, and Chimney Rock a bit further up the road on 92. The ride up 385 out of Bridgeport up to Chadron is surprisingly pretty, and although we've not seen it yet, "Carhenge" is near Alliance along that route. From Chardon we continue via the jog on up to Hot Springs, through Wind Cave, and on up to Custer. It's a pretty ride.
Parkhoppers
2015 StarCraft AR-One 17RD

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » July 19th, 2016, 6:12 pm

That looks so fun. We'll have to figure out what we'll do with our fur babies, though.

Does anyone recommend options for routing information? We're getting a Rand McNally GPS, but I like maps and want to pre-plan everything possible. So, is there a site like mapquest specifically for campers?

Parkhoppers

Post by Parkhoppers » July 19th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Zyriah wrote:Good tip! We are going to be there during the Bison round-up so want to check that out, too.
You will enjoy the round-up! You probably already have the link for round-up info, but here it is for anyone interested:

http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/directory ... fault.aspx
Parkhoppers

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » July 19th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Good tip! We are going to be there during the Bison round-up so want to check that out, too.

Parkhoppers

Post by Parkhoppers » July 18th, 2016, 9:35 pm

Zyriah wrote:Thanks, Parkhoppers, for the very thorough response.
Happy to. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. :D

Oh, and check for any Mt. Rushmore events that may be going on at the time of your visit. There are free concerts and programs throughout the season. During our first visit there we just happened to stumble into a concert when we went on an evening to watch 'em light up the heads. Turned out to be Brule' and Airo! A real surprise for us.

Custer State Park
Attachments
custer.jpg
custer.jpg (38.93 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
Parkhoppers

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » July 18th, 2016, 8:14 pm

Thanks, Parkhoppers, for the very thorough response.