Palmetto State Park (Texas)

Conversations about camping locations in the Southwest. (OK, TX, NM, AZ)
pawpaw

Re: Palmetto State Park (Texas)

Post by pawpaw » January 18th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Thanks kuba122. I'm definitely going to add your suggestions to the list. I had forgotten about the history in Gonzales - thanks for the reminder.
Why is it that mechanical things always seem to happen when we're away from home, parts store, tools, etc? Glad you were able to get your truck going again.
Happy Camping!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

kuba122

Re: Palmetto State Park (Texas)

Post by kuba122 » January 17th, 2017, 1:17 pm

While I have not, yet, been to Palmetto State Park (it is most certainly on my list) .... I have been to and through both Gonzales and Luling. To once each and through many times, each. Luling is quite interesting in some ways very plain, in others. We went to Luling at christmas time and we were really pleasantly surprised with the way they decorate the town .... they have a LOT of pumpjacks and each one was dressed up for christmas in a different way. Nice little town with old Texas oil money. Luling is known as the watermelon capital and the water tower is painted like a watermelon. Nice downtown area ....

If you are really looking for something to do, something to not miss .... the first shot fired in the fight for Texas independence was the shot fired in Gonzales, Texas the birth place of "come and take it". Gonzales is a very welcoming community and very proud of their heritage. There is so much history to touch, feel and see in town. Young and old will love it. There is a small park downtown with cannons that were found during road construction, not too far from the courthouse. The county courthouse is one of the nicest historic courthouses in the state. When we were there the old jail was open for tours and we toured it. (There is a replica of an old gallows, upstairs) Everyone is welcome to spend a little time inside of a cell, makes for some neat photo moments! The museum, in town, is simply Amazing! Artifacts inside are rivaled by the Art Deco building and grounds on the outside. The have the "come and take it" cannon on display. Independence park is a nice place to relax. We love the town of gonzales. And plan to return, again, at some point.

Our time in gonzales was cut short, in a way. My truck wouldn't start after we were done with the museum. I am fairly handy, So I knew the starter solonoid wasn't firing, properly. It was the day before thanksgiving, and kind of late in that day. We were looking at the probability of being stuck in town for a few days, according to the mechanic shop .... So, I put on my jacket and backpack and did a 6 mile (round trip) hike to the closest parts store and bought a starter and a few tools. Changed the starter out in front of the museum after it was closed and the truck cranked right up and we went home. That's my personal Gonzales story.

I have probably forgotten a few things ... if I remember something, I'll post it. I, too hope to hear from others that have been in the area. Each of us sees things that others miss.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

pawpaw

Palmetto State Park (Texas)

Post by pawpaw » January 17th, 2017, 12:25 pm

We're headed to Palmetto State Park near Gonzales, TX for the first in April, and we're looking for ideas from those that have been there about what not to miss in the area. This will be our annual Easter trip with family and friends, and the ages range from 4 years - retired. There will be about 20 of us. We'll have kayaks, other assorted water toys and bikes. It looks like there are lots of trails and there's plenty of water to play in.
Any suggestions on what else there is to do in the area?
Thanks and happy camping!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX