New Satellite owners

Stop in here, first and introduce yourself or learn about the rest of us!
partsbob

Re: New Satellite owners and LP quick-connect question

Post by partsbob » October 19th, 2018, 2:44 pm

My wife & I sold our 2012 Jayco 154BH last week and purchased a new 2018 Starcraft Satellite 17RB as its replacement on Saturday, no longer needing bunks for the grandkids. Of course we did our research on Starcraft to find they’re a Jayco company, which gave us more confidence in our decision and, even though this is nearly identical to the Jayco Hummingbird, Winnebago Drop and the R-Pods, we had the opportunity to pick up this leftover Satellite and we’re loving it after our first 3-day camp. The Camping World we bought ours from also sold the R-Pods, and had lots to choose from, but we were unimpressed with the differences and saw no reason for the additional expense, especially when the Satellite offered bonuses the R-Pod did not, like additional cabinet doors that were blocked off in the R-Pods, the WiFi booster we didn’t see on any R-Pod and the power awning instead of the manual on all the R-Pods! Much the same differences on the Hummingbird and Mini-Winnie Drop we had seen at another Camping World we shopped, so we jumped on this Satellite that was the last we found on Clearance, even though it was a 6-hour drive for us. Unfortunately our Sales experience was pretty ugly and took 5 1/2 hours to complete, they provided us with 2 free days of their on-site campground with full-hookup to get acquainted with the new camper and we are extremely pleased with our Satellite, looking forward to more camping next week!
One question I do have, since Camping World wasn’t very helpful (and would not provide a free “walk-through” of our unit because “it was sold below their cost”: has anyone been able to find what’s needed to connect a table-top grill (like the Charbroil Grill-2-Go) to the LP quick-connect at the back of a Satellite, or other camper, instead of using the green canisters? Since it’s after the camper regulator, there can’t be another regulator also attached to the grill, like the canisters use. I’ve already ordered a Camco 57638 Quick-Connect Conversion kit that’s arriving today, so I may find out before I hear back from others. I may also copy this as a separate Post, since other models may also come with a quick-connect like the Satellite does.

UPDATE:
So the Camco LP 57638 Quick-Connect Conversion kit came in and (1) the hose end does fit the onboard quick-connect of the Satellite, however (2) the included control valve doesn’t come close to connecting to the Charbroil Grill-2-Go with its own regulator. Remembering that the line going to the rear of the Satellite is AFTER the LP regulator of the camper and that a 2nd regulator can’t be at the grill, after trips to 2 Lowes Plumbing Depts and 2 solid hours of modifications (and testing for leaks), I have successfully adapted the grill’s gas tube to the included control valve of the kit and the grill works perfectly. Also, if ever I need to use the grill with the 1-lb cylinders again for a picnic, the gas tube can still be used with the regulator or, more likely, just purchase a quick-connect hose for a spare 20-lb tank.
Granted, I’ve been a fabricator all my life, so I was pretty confident I could do this safely and inexpensively. No doubt other grills use different methods to control the gas, and some may offer a quick-connect already (this kit converts an Olympian 4100 grill), but this is the grill we have and I was determined to connect it to our new Satellite. Here’s a few pix of the process, but we’re dealing with gas & flame, so I’m not recommending anyone else try this!
17C3CA66-654B-411C-BAB2-57F7E85E5EA7.jpeg
17C3CA66-654B-411C-BAB2-57F7E85E5EA7.jpeg (2.57 MiB) Viewed 824 times
C713D260-4A8E-4943-82FB-7198897D5029.jpeg
C713D260-4A8E-4943-82FB-7198897D5029.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 824 times
F0E47F52-FC49-4DBD-B0BF-20C16D97B061.jpeg
F0E47F52-FC49-4DBD-B0BF-20C16D97B061.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 824 times
NC/VA Mountains
2019 Heartland Caliber 27RBDS
2018 Starcraft Satellite 17RB (SOLD)
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat 4WD EcoBoost

pawpaw

Re: New Satellite owners

Post by pawpaw » October 7th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Welcome aboard! sorry I can't help with a Satellite review
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

fkiehner

Re: New Satellite owners

Post by fkiehner » October 5th, 2018, 11:19 am

Guess you didn't get any response. I also am looking at a satellite trailer as my first rv and wanted to find a good user group to read before purchase. No activity on the Satellite section of this user group so may have to keep looking around.
Frank K

volpenhein

New Satellite owners

Post by volpenhein » July 29th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Hello all - anyone have advice on best way to find good basic user info about the Satellites? Just got a 2017 16ks and would like to get a bit more familiar with pros/cons beyond the user's manual and considering mods. Picking up the new rig Aug4!