Roof leak 17RB?

For folks who like to keep it simple but don’t want to scrimp on creature comforts.
partsbob

Re: Roof leak 17RB?

Post by partsbob » August 3rd, 2020, 7:38 pm

Ednewell, I can’t say how it is today, since we traded our Satellite for a larger TT last year, but I can say that there was no noticeable warping while we did have it. The lap-strip on the ceiling, where it was dripping on my wife’s pillow, was replaced under warranty when the roof was resealed and that was the only interior part we noticed damaged while we had it.
NC/VA Mountains
2019 Heartland Caliber 27RBDS
2018 Starcraft Satellite 17RB (SOLD)
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 Lariat 4WD EcoBoost

EDNEWELL

Post by EDNEWELL » August 3rd, 2020, 5:05 pm

We have a 17rb and this Spring experienced something similar to your leak, ours was on the tv side & ran down that wall. After sealing the top like you did, we haven’t noticed any water getting in. However, the wall on that side has several warped sections now, and seems to be getting worse. I was wondering if you were having this problem as well.

partsbob

Post by partsbob » January 18th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Congrats on your Satellite purchase and I’m so glad you’ve not had any leaks. After ours was repaired at the NC dealer, it went through a lot of heavy rains out in the open for 3 weeeks without leaks, so we’re very pleased with their work. It’s always under cover at home and we weren’t able to make that FLA trip due to my knee replacement, but anxious to get it out again soon. I hope you have a grand year with yours.
NC/VA Mountains

mddrudge

Post by mddrudge » January 17th, 2019, 3:25 am

I have a 2018 17RB I got new in August. I've only spent 10 nights in it so far, but experienced both rain and snow with (knocking on wood) no leaks. I live in Florida and we have had a BUNCH of hard rains and winds where it is parked and no sign of any leaks so far. Hopefully the caulk is all yours needs!

partsbob

Post by partsbob » November 15th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Glad to hear you’ve not had any leaks with your Satellite and I’m glad we’ve not experienced the electrical issue you experienced. So sorry to hear you also had a very disappointing CW experience, having seen your other Post, as we did when we drove 6-hours to pick up ours. If it wasn’t such a great deal on a leftover 2018, we would have made the 6-hour drive back home without it, as it was totally unexpected based on our previous CW purchase of a preowned camper 6-months earlier, though it wasn’t the same dealership.

We’re waiting to pick up our Satellite from the local dealer, who has fixed the water leaks, because an interior wood strip was damaged and Starcraft sent them the wrong color strip. Having really enjoyed the couple of times we’ve camped with ours in the last month, we’re bummed that we're beyond our camping season here in the NC mountains (ice everywhere today!), so we’re seriously thinking about pulling it to FL for a couple of weeks, though we’d have to winterize it again before pulling it back home.

On a different subject, if you run across a Satellite Owners only website, I hope you’ll post a link, as this Forum doesn’t appear to get much activity from Satellite owners. We’d love to meet up with other Satellite owners close enough to have a Camp-In next year.
NC/VA Mountains

neato76

Post by neato76 » November 9th, 2018, 6:08 am

We have had our 17RB since July and have used it quite extensively. Fortunately we have not had any issues with water leaking. Our only issues have been with the microwave and a grounding issue that affected the entire trailer. Both were fixed under warranty no questions asked. Hope it all has worked out for you all!
2019 Satellite 17RB ‘Extreme’
2010 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport

partsbob

Roof leak 17RB?

Post by partsbob » October 29th, 2018, 9:19 pm

We’ve had a new 2018 Satellite for 2 weeks now and just returned from a 3-day camp with rain all 3 days. That’s miserable enough, but on the first night, around 3:30am, my wife woke with water dripping on her pillow and running down the front wall of the camper. Of course a big part of our decision to buy the Satellite was the extensive use of fiberglass on the outside, minimizing the possibility of roof leaks! Naturally the roof & sides still need caulking where they mate, but it wasn’t until around 9am when I was able to borrow a ladder to get up there in the rain to inspect that caulking or some other defect that would allow water to gain access inside. I did find about a 1” section of caulking that appeared missing on the same side (door side), so I made a trip to Lowes for some clear silicone to fill the void as best I could in the rain, adding some Gorilla tape over it to hold in place long enough to firm up. Yes, it did cut down on the water getting inside, no longer dripping on pillows from the seam strip along the front, but since it was leaking onto the back of the interior paneling, it continued to slowly run down the front paneling and down the side wall below where the caulking was missing (above the bed window). Fortunately we had already replaced the original mattress with a foam type, as all the bedding was soaked to the wood below it.

I have an appointment with my area Starcraft dealer this week, but I’m curious if others have experienced the same with their Satellite and if I should expect other weak spots for the same later? All in all, we LOVE our Satellite and can’t wait for Spring to start enjoying it more, hopefully without any further leaks!
NC/VA Mountains