Level Towing

Discuss the Telluride line of trailers, everything you have ever wanted.
musicearlyadopter

Re: Level Towing

Post by musicearlyadopter » August 18th, 2021, 9:14 pm

Hi folks,

Wanted to share my (very brief) experience. I bought a 2018 292RLS about a month ago, and pull it with a 2021 F250 diesel with a Patriot slider hitch. The hitch is in its' lowest setting and I "thought" the trailer still leaned back a bit too much. I have about 5-6" of space above my tailgate but it is not sitting perfectly level. I had the truck and trailer weighed yesterday, and the Starcraft specs state 1365 lbs. hitch weight- with a second AC and a bit of tools up front, my truck hitch weight is 1600 lbs. So, not far from the factory specs, which leads me to believe I have the right pin box height even though the trailer sits slightly high in front, and modifying the trailer axles or tires would simply add hitch weight I presume. Everyone on here seems to feel their Telluride sits to high, and some have gone to the trouble of moving up to 16" trailer tires as a (partial) solution. But, the hitch weight would seem to indicate it is pulling about right. I welcome any alternative opinions. Thank you, Gregg

bsmith993

Post by bsmith993 » June 1st, 2021, 2:02 pm

I've been chasing this same "problem" for a while and have made a couple adjustments to improve the level. I tow with a 2019 Ford F250, but had similar height issues in the rear end. The Fords, as I think the Dodges, have gone to overly high rear ends. I bought shorter rear axle leaf spring spacer blocks from an earlier model F250 that lowered the rear of my truck a couple inches. It actually makes the whole truck more level now. Searching on lowering the rear of your truck might find some tips there, although most people go the other direction so it isn't a popular mod. Assuming you have adjusted the hitch in your bed as low as it goes and you still have 7" of clearance between the trailer and bed rails, you could raise your pin box. I was able to move the pin box on the 5th wheel up within its bracket to move the nose down towards the bed. I'm running about 6" of clearance now to the bed rail. It still is a bit nose high but those few inches have certainly helped.
2019 Starcraft Telluride 296BHS
2019 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty

TumiliTelluride

Post by TumiliTelluride » May 14th, 2021, 3:23 am

20210511_150654.jpg
ImageHave 2021 3500hd with curt a25 fifth wheel,factory pin set on 2021 292 rls,would like to have had a little more clearance but even with the box cover folded up didnt have any problems, pulls pretty level,and nice!happy camping!

Sproutin

Post by Sproutin » April 12th, 2021, 12:37 am

We’ve been pulling ours for three years like this. We have a 2018 296BHS and a 2017 Ram 2500. The axles on ours are as high as they go. We looked at putting a leveling kit and blocks on and that was not a solution. Honestly this trailers has been all over the US from Minnesota to Texas all the way to Utah and going to Key West this summer. Tows great for us. We just replaced the tires for the first time this year. No extra wear and no bouncing down the road. Would we like it to be level? Yeah, but it doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

jacobrose

Level Towing

Post by jacobrose » March 31st, 2021, 10:46 am

I have a 2021 Telluride 296BHS. It is not level when towing. (I haven't measured to get exactly how much) I tow with a 2018 Ram 2500. I can only drop my hitch about an inch. My bedrail clearance is about 7"
I have looked and cannot get a clear answer on how important or detrimental it is that the trailer be level, or how unlevel is "too" unlevel. Has any other Telluride owner had this issue? Did you fix it? How big of a deal is it?