Towing Telluride

Discuss the Telluride line of trailers, everything you have ever wanted.
Jayurban4

Re: Towing Telluride

Post by Jayurban4 » September 4th, 2021, 5:03 am

Thanks guys, the responses are very helpful.

bsmith993

Post by bsmith993 » August 31st, 2021, 3:57 pm

Hi. I hope you are still checking here, and sorry for the late reply.

I just towed my 296BHS 3600 miles from Maryland to Wyoming with a 2019 F250 6.2L gas engine. I always knew that the engine there was fine, but you really have to get into the gas pedal going up hills. However, I had a good wakeup call on this trip. Running I-90 westbound with a moderate (~10-20mph) headwind was a chore and a half. All day long trying to keep on schedule running 60-65 mph, the truck was going from "roaring in 3rd gear" to "screaming in 2nd". Gas mileage plummeted from my best case 8.5 mpg towing to 6. Just pulling the mountain headed up to Rushmore required FIRST gear. I didn't weigh it, but it was a long trip and I know I was running heavy.

I'd say it can tow it ... ok. Flat running, interstates, back roads, moderate hills... all does just fine. Not great, but ok. Any challenging situations and it gets to be a lot. I am now prepping my truck and self for that hard conversation with the dealer to move up to the diesel before we head west to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, or others.

I will add though, that even in fairly heavy winds.. crosswinds, truck buffeting, the F250 itself handles the trailer very nicely. Braking, turning, control, everything is effortless. I did upgrade to Bilstein shocks which made a world of difference over the Ford factory (FX4) shocks. So the truck itself is capable, but that lack of power really got to me on that trip.
2019 Starcraft Telluride 296BHS
2019 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty

musicearlyadopter

Post by musicearlyadopter » August 18th, 2021, 9:02 pm

Jayurban4,

I have a 2018 292RL (10,000 lb. gross weight) that I just bought and tow it with my 2021 F250 diesel- it is plenty of power for that unit. I love the MBH unit, and presume that it would tow fine too. I was under the impression that the gross weights shown for any unit do not include full tanks. FYI, I had my truck and trailer weighed yesterday, and the tongue weight is right at 1600 lbs. with almost no fresh water on board.

Thanks, Gregg

Jayurban4

Towing Telluride

Post by Jayurban4 » July 23rd, 2021, 8:16 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase the Telluride 338mbh, love the Floorplan. It looks like it's GVW is 11,500lbs. Does anyone out there tow one of these with a gas 250 or 2500? I currently have a 2015 chevy 2500hd with the 6.0L gas. Will this truck have issues towing it? I don't see myself reaching fully loaded weight, especially since we travel with empty tanks.

Thanks in advance for any comments.