1993 starcraft starflyer 1021 cables/turn buckles

Discuss these great and versatile pop-up and hardside tent campers.
surreyboy

Re: 1993 starcraft starflyer 1021 cables/turn buckles

Post by surreyboy » March 8th, 2017, 3:06 pm

hey , thanks . i have been having no luck on google.......so what i have done was bought a roll of 50' 1/8 cable(same as original) & cut some 1/2" round stock & very carefully welded the cable to the small pieces of 1/2" round stock to imitate the compressed balls on the ends of the original cables that fit inside the crank......ill buy some turn buckles & crosby clips to attach the new cables to existing.....would kind of like to know what the lengths are supposed to be....but i guess ill be fine if i leave 2 wraps on the crank , with the thing fully extended to open height & stretch the new cable as tight as i can by hand through the tun buckles & clamp a crosby clip on...

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: 1993 starcraft starflyer 1021 cables/turn buckles

Post by Administrator » March 7th, 2017, 6:49 pm

Welcome to the forums!!

My personal course of action would very likely be to find the cable (assuming it is a steel rope cable or could be replaced with steel rope cable) at a hardware store along with the tools / parts needed to assemble it (I actually have a swaging tool for assembling steel cable). Finding part numbers for parts on a 24 year old RV will likely prove useless. Contact starcraft, they would be the only ones that would be able to easily find what you are looking for. My method, you would use the original turnbuckles in the new assembly. Good luck!

Just thought I'd offer a possible solution.

surreyboy

1993 starcraft starflyer 1021 cables/turn buckles

Post by surreyboy » March 7th, 2017, 6:33 pm

hey everyone , new here....just hoping to find some info or help

we have a 1993 starcraft starflyer 1021 & the cables snapped underneath....the 4 cables in the riser posts are fine but theres 3 in the winch/crank underneath that snapped...hoping that someone out there could give me some info or at least point me in the right direction to find where to get these cables/turnbuckles or find the part numbers for the 3 cables...the front one is long & doubles back & goes from the winch to both corners in the front. the back 2 are shorter & go from the sides of the winch to the 2 rear corners......i also need the 4 turnbuckles that connect the underneath cables to the 4 riser post cables.
also , if & when i do find these cables& turn buckles , do i have to have the thing completely raised to install the cables ? i have already lifted & cut 2x4s to hold it up

thanks for any info or help , its greatly appreciated