Larger Tires / Rims

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
tcbro

Re: Larger Tires / Rims

Post by tcbro » April 20th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Correction, it has 16" wheels and tires.
Tom
2016 AR-One 17TH
2009 GMC Sierra

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » April 20th, 2018, 6:57 pm

In that case I apologize for the Long Winded Answer :D . Enjoy your Camping !
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2Dr / Stubby
2016 AR-One 15RB

tcbro

Post by tcbro » April 20th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Beechcamper,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. After studying your pictures and paying attention to how the top of the tires align with the sides of trailer and tops of the wheel wells I've decided that, while mine started out as an Extreme model, I believe it has been lowered by flipping the axle to the top of the springs. It still has the 15" wheels and tires and the 2 step entry.

Thanks again,
Tom
Tom
2016 AR-One 17TH
2009 GMC Sierra

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » April 19th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Sorry for the late reply . without seeing it , It would be a rather uneducated guess at best ! . I think Most Larger trailers are built naturally higher to allow a better approach / departure angle . A combination of larger frame rails , spring mounts , longer shackles . I have only one other guess . I had a small travel trailer that came with a Drop Spindle axle , mounted above the springs and sat at what I would say regular height . To achieve a lift , I had it replaced with a straight axle , and left that mounted above the springs . The elimination of the spindle drop , achieved the lift . Here's the additional uneducated guess . without knowing the regular model ( not extreme package ) , maybe it comes with a drop spindle axle and sits lower ? or they all sit the same ? Best of luck , sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(
Attachments
axle flip.jpg
axle flip.jpg (98.6 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
2016 AR-One 15RB

tcbro

Ground clearence

Post by tcbro » April 1st, 2018, 8:35 pm

Hi, I was just getting ready to post a question and I saw your post. Our 2016 new-to-us AR-One 17TH toy hauler has the "Extreme" package which includes the 15" tires and an additional 5" of ground clearance among other things. I don't need nor do I want the extra clearance and I'm trying to figure out how to lower it. I thought I could use smaller spring shackles but after looking at them there doesn't seem to be much potential there. You talk about an axle flip so I thought that's how they gained the extra clearance. I figured I could reverse the flip. I just went outside and checked, my axle is above the springs, no help lowering there. Do you know how StarCraft achieves the extra clearance?
Tom
2016 AR-One 17TH
2009 GMC Sierra

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » November 17th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Ok , I am sure there is little to no interest , but if anyone cares , the rims I used for the upgrade from 14s were 15 x 6 , with the bolt circle / pattern of 5 x 4.5 . I am using Cooper AT/3 tires , 235 / 75 x 15 , load range C . I also replaced the original step with a 2 step unit , and I extended the 2 front Jacks and added a drop foot to the tongue jack , for the added height .
Attachments
flip with 15in rims and at-3 tires cropped.jpg
flip with 15in rims and at-3 tires cropped.jpg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 4169 times
2016 AR-One 15RB

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » November 3rd, 2017, 12:56 pm

Late post again as usual , if anyone still cares , but one of the main after season things to get done . The axle flip (as it's called ) actually axle moved under springs . Also plan on larger Rim / Tire combination
This should save my back from the digging a grave for the portable waste each time :lol:
original height.jpg
original height.jpg (112.07 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
axle flip 10-26-2017.jpg
axle flip 10-26-2017.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 4184 times
2016 AR-One 15RB

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » October 6th, 2017, 12:51 pm

jmon1969 wrote:
August 25th, 2017, 10:09 pm
Beachcamper, what beaches are you taking it to? I also am a Long Islander and just bought a 15RB....I probably can't go on sand like you since I'm using a minivan to tow but I am going to Smith Point in a few weeks. I hear for Hither Hills Montauk you have to book 9 months in advance so that'll be next year....I'm curious where else there is to be that close to the water....
Hello again , sorry I just saw this . It's late but it's the Outer Beaches in Suffolk County . Smith Point actually is one of them , although when most say they are camping at the beach , they mean the campground . This year the Outer Beach camping area was just beyond Cut 2 . It's been hit and miss as far as being open due to some crazy Weather / Tides . I guess at this point you probably know all this already :D We had several reservations at the other ones , so by time they opened SPOB , we already had plans . As far as other ones close , we pretty much just do the Outer beaches , so not the best one to ask . Hither Hills is always hard to get , I always hear good things about it , it has No Hook-ups from what I understand , so to us , If I am going Dry Camping , Might as well be Right On the Beach , I sound like a broken record , but again it is close to the beach , not on it . I hope you enjoy / have enjoyed the 15RB . Great little Camper , easy to tow , my only complaint is the fridge in hot weather , but this is common with side mounted vents with minimal area for the top one . I guess Beating sun all day , in 95 degree temps on the beach is not a big help :o Pretty common problem . Again Enjoy .
2016 AR-One 15RB

BeachCamper

Post by BeachCamper » October 6th, 2017, 12:32 pm

shemphill wrote:
August 24th, 2017, 7:09 pm
How is this going BeachCamper? We just bought a 24RLS and want a little more ground clearance.
Hello , sorry head up A-- , just saw this ( and another ) and have not been on here for a while . Hope you are enjoying your New Trailer . Never got a chance to follow up , busy summer . The last time I called Starcraft , they said call the dealer . Calling the dealer is like pulling teeth . Now that we are pretty much done with the beaches for the season , may just take it in , not to the dealer lol , and have the axle flip done first . We have not run into clearance problems , but everytime I look at the drains I shake my head and think , yea , too low , gotta get that done . Also that digging for the portable tank is getting old as fast as I am . . Crap just remembered I put large tires on the tank to stop hitting all the rocks at Montauk , which means even MORE Digging next year !!! Yea need the lift Ha Ha . The wheel thing It seems I will have to undertake myself . I know there are ways to match up the Bolt pattern / Offset , and in all Honesty , that part would be more of a " look " thing , although wider tires airing down will also add more float on the sand . And Matching the Truck tire look ( don't jump down my throat folks , Small , Light , Single Axle Trailer , short trips etc ) will make me feel younger or something like that :lol:
2016 AR-One 15RB

jmon1969

Post by jmon1969 » August 25th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Beachcamper, what beaches are you taking it to? I also am a Long Islander and just bought a 15RB....I probably can't go on sand like you since I'm using a minivan to tow but I am going to Smith Point in a few weeks. I hear for Hither Hills Montauk you have to book 9 months in advance so that'll be next year....I'm curious where else there is to be that close to the water....