Fresh water tank readings

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
GlennInTN

Re: Fresh water tank readings

Post by GlennInTN » June 2nd, 2018, 1:26 pm

Last year we bought a very slightly used AR-1 17RD. On our first trip we noticed that the grey water tank gauge never rose off empty, even when the grey water was backing up into the bath tub. When we got home I crawled under and found that the gauge ground wire was just hanging loose and had NEVER been attached to the frame. <Sarcasm On> THANKS STARCRAFT! <Sarcasm Off>. A drill and a sheet metal screw fixed the problem.

pacamoma

Post by pacamoma » August 9th, 2016, 4:37 pm

pacamoma wrote:Can anyone tell me how many gallons the AR-1Extreme 16 BH, 2016, fresh water tank is supposed to have? The label on my trailer if I transposed this correctly (never been good at story problems) says 267 lbs (8.31 lbs/gal) = 32 gallons? Brochure says 26 gal, Starcraft is closed so i can't verify with them. I just filled and counted buckets coming out of it as 24 gallons.

I originally took this in because the last time I went camping it said my fresh water and my gray water tank were both full. When i drained my gray water, there was no way it was full. The fresh water should have been less than full.

Long story short I just got this back from Camping World for warranty work on my water levels. They "say" they resituated the probe in my tank (and added an additional probe ) to read better. I filled til overflow. Drained 11 gal before it showed 2/3 full, shy of 7 gal before it showed 1/3 full, shy of 6 gal before it was literally empty, but it still showed 1/3 full on the wall reading.

Based on the warranty invoice it says the tank is 6" tall and they explained where the probes were. Also said they removed the underbelly to do all of this. My husband looked under the trailer and could not determine that the underbelly was ever removed or opened.......
Duh! Didn't think about the hot water tank. Thanks

pacamoma

Post by pacamoma » August 9th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Parkhoppers wrote:
pacamoma wrote:Can anyone tell me how many gallons the AR-1Extreme 16 BH, 2016, fresh water tank is supposed to have? The label on my trailer if I transposed this correctly (never been good at story problems) says 267 lbs (8.31 lbs/gal) = 32 gallons? Brochure says 26 gal, Starcraft is closed so i can't verify with them. I just filled and counted buckets coming out of it as 24 gallons.
The label includes the 6 gallon capacity of the hot water heater in the total.

We don't have the 16BH, but the port for filling the fresh tank on our camper is located on the side toward the top of the tank. Most every camper I've ever seen is set up this way so that the tank cannot be overfilled, and there is air space above. (Probably a couple gallons of space, so that's why you drained out around 24).

As for the sensors, I've never found any that were 100% accurate, ever.
That's what I am beginning to hear. Thanks for the reply.

pacamoma

Post by pacamoma » August 9th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Houston Remodeler wrote:Those sensors are notoriously inaccurate. The only half way trustable one is the fresh water.

Learn how long it takes to empty / fill a tank by your regular usage and go with that. We rarely use the indicator buttons any more.
That's not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for responding.

Parkhoppers

Post by Parkhoppers » August 9th, 2016, 3:30 am

The label includes the 6 gallon capacity of the hot water heater in the total.

We don't have the 16BH, but the port for filling the fresh tank on our camper is located on the side toward the top of the tank. Most every camper I've ever seen is set up this way so that the tank cannot be overfilled, and there is air space above. (Probably a couple gallons of space, so that's why you drained out around 24).

As for the sensors, I've never found any that were 100% accurate, ever.
Parkhoppers
2015 StarCraft AR-One 17RD

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » August 9th, 2016, 2:16 am

Those sensors are notoriously inaccurate. The only half way trustable one is the fresh water.

Learn how long it takes to empty / fill a tank by your regular usage and go with that. We rarely use the indicator buttons any more.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

pacamoma

Fresh water tank readings

Post by pacamoma » August 9th, 2016, 12:05 am

Can anyone tell me how many gallons the AR-1Extreme 16 BH, 2016, fresh water tank is supposed to have? The label on my trailer if I transposed this correctly (never been good at story problems) says 267 lbs (8.31 lbs/gal) = 32 gallons? Brochure says 26 gal, Starcraft is closed so i can't verify with them. I just filled and counted buckets coming out of it as 24 gallons.

I originally took this in because the last time I went camping it said my fresh water and my gray water tank were both full. When i drained my gray water, there was no way it was full. The fresh water should have been less than full.

Long story short I just got this back from Camping World for warranty work on my water levels. They "say" they resituated the probe in my tank (and added an additional probe ) to read better. I filled til overflow. Drained 11 gal before it showed 2/3 full, shy of 7 gal before it showed 1/3 full, shy of 6 gal before it was literally empty, but it still showed 1/3 full on the wall reading.

Based on the warranty invoice it says the tank is 6" tall and they explained where the probes were. Also said they removed the underbelly to do all of this. My husband looked under the trailer and could not determine that the underbelly was ever removed or opened.......