To Cover or Not to Cover OUR Starcraft AR-ONE for the Winter?

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
Jack kuszaj

Re: To Cover or Not to Cover OUR Starcraft AR-ONE for the Winter?

Post by Jack kuszaj » September 6th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Thank you kindly for your responses. To be more specific, we are considering purchasing a semi-custom, breathable Tyvek cover for our AR-ONE.

Here's the link to the cover we're looking at- http://www.nationaldiscountcovers.com/s ... =20ft.html

From what we've read the "cons" for these types of covers are:

* chafing of the top and sides of the RV due to the cover flapping in the wind against the RV
* deterioration of the cover in 1-2 years due to it flapping
* condensation problems

Any further advice to will be greatly appreiciated.

Jack

RoyBraddy

Post by RoyBraddy » September 6th, 2016, 12:35 pm

I covered my off-road Starcraft RT14 with those somewhat expensive covers made just for my POPUP trailer. The first one just barely made it through the first season. Even with the breathing flaps the wind and cold tore it up pretty good. I also used this same cover for trips and when we had to park behind a Motel etc it was pretty neat to cover up. Made my POPUP trailer look like a boat trailer so may cut down on security worries some what. WHo's going to mess with a towed boat haha...

I bought a second one suppose to be a better cover and the next season the same thing happens. I can only get one year out of one of those high dollar covers. This is living in Northern Neck Virginia and trips are south and West to Okla/Texas - Made one trip to NM...

Just gave up on it after that....

I kinda agree with the post that says if I lived up North I would purchase one of those metal open side building things... With just the roof you can add some wind breaks on one side if needed for a wind break i.e. Just getting one with the roof and four support legs are really not all that expensive. My two seasons for the high dollar covers probably paid half of it already hehe...

Roy Ken
Posts are IMHO based on experiences - PM me
CAPS does not mean I am SHOUTING
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » September 4th, 2016, 3:37 pm

From everything I've read, a blue tarp type cover is a bad thing. If you want to cover, a hard roof, elevated over the trailer ( a carport for example) is the way to go.

We solved the problem by living in Houston. We don't need no steenken' cover.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » September 4th, 2016, 1:17 am

I'm not sure what the cons are .... I know it can't be good to let water freeze/thaw on a Trailer. If I lived up north in snow country, I'd surely cover mine. We use ours in South Texas in the winter, but, if ice storms or snow is forecast, I will cover it.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

Jack kuszaj

To Cover or Not to Cover OUR Starcraft AR-ONE for the Winter?

Post by Jack kuszaj » September 3rd, 2016, 3:04 pm

Comrades:

My wife and I just purchased a 2016 Starcraft AR-ONE 18QB. We live in southern New England and would like advice about the pros and cons of covering our RV for the winter as it will live in our yard. Any sage advice will be appreciated!
Kind Regards,

Jack