Fantastic vent fan

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
pawpaw

Re: Fantastic vent fan

Post by pawpaw » April 6th, 2017, 10:19 am

The Vortex 2 is now installed in our other trailer (Autumn Ridge 329BHU). Man, what an easy install compared to the Fantastic Fan I put in the AR-One. No issues, but I highly recommend having an extra set of hands for the installation. I put the original vent fan in the rear bunkhouse vent and grabbed power from a nearby light fixture. The only problem is that the switch is up high and my wife can't reach it. I need to figure out a way to install a wall switch without tearing up the interior. I could run the wire externally down the wall, but I don't think that will pass inspection by the boss.
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
2014 Sierra 6.2L with max tow pkge
Cypress, TX

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » March 25th, 2017, 8:17 pm

I just did the vortex, in mine. I remote mounted the fan control on the wall, because my wife can't reach the vent .... Really simple and straightforward. It does move a lot of air, as well. Pretty quiet operation. I recommend it!
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

pawpaw

Post by pawpaw » March 19th, 2017, 10:31 am

I purchased the model 1200 for my trailer from etrailer (https://www.etrailer.com), they had better pricing than Amazon. It's just the very basic fan, but there are several different models with extras.
I grabbed power from a light just like your situation. I just dropped the light fixture out of the ceiling and tapped into the wires. It was quite simple to fish the wires to where I needed them for the fan.
The hardest part of the whole process was removing the old non powered vent from the roof. I've since then discovered the Vortex 2 replacement fan. It's supposed to fit into the existing housing so the original housing doesn't need to be removed. It installs from inside the trailer. That seems like the way to go - much easier. I've ordered one for my other trailer and I'll let you know how the installation goes.
Happy camping!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
Cypress, TX

Jen-Utah

Post by Jen-Utah » March 18th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I just purchased a 2015 AR-One 15RB. My first camper/trailer ever! :D Utah is Sunny and hot so first on my agenda is airflow!

My AR-One has 2 vents and no fan. I'd like to replace the bathroom vent with a fantastic fan and I have two concerns before I take the current vent out.

1. Is the size easily matched? There are quite a few on Amazon right now and they seem fairly standard but I've been fooled before.

2. There is a light about 6 inches away. How do I tap into that power and get it to the fan? pictures are appreciated!

Thank you in advance!!

Jen

GaryG

Post by GaryG » December 29th, 2016, 7:16 pm

It's so much fun doing upgrades. I tell my family and friends that owning my TT is my favorite hobby (but it can be an expensive one). I have a list of upgrades that I'd like to do but funds, or the lack there of, prevents me from it in the meantime. Thanks for sharing.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

pawpaw

Fantastic vent fan

Post by pawpaw » December 23rd, 2016, 11:37 am

My 18QB AR-One didn't have a vent fan in the bathroom (it only had a vent), so I decided to do something about it. I installed a Fantastic vent fan. The installation took me about 5-6 hours, but it wasn't complicated at all. I grabbed power from the light fixture in the bathroom. The time consuming part was removing the existing vent and cleaning as much of the old sealant off the roof as possible. WOW, this thing has three speeds and really moves some air. It acts like an old fashioned attic fan. I can feel it pulling air from the window on the opposite end of my trailer. According to the manufacturer, the fan can be left on all the time to provide circulation while the trailer is in storage to eliminate the musty smell and other problems. I like it so much that I'm going to order another one and install it on my Autumn Ridge 329BHU and replace the puny little bathroom fan the factory installed.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
2015 Autumn Ridge 329BHU
Cypress, TX