Curt Brake controller and camper brake issue

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
Tardis-1

Re: Curt Brake controller and camper brake issue

Post by Tardis-1 » December 27th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Separate a brake controller issue from a mechanical brake issue:

Apply brakes and create the ‘non-disengaged’ condition. Then pull the plug from the brake controller, thus disconnecting it.

If brakes disengage, that suggests a brake controller ‘stuck’ situation and the electric brakes are simply doing what they are (incorrectly) told to do. If brakes don’t disengage (with brake controller removed), that suggests a mechanical brake ‘stuck’ situation.

Also, I am not familiar with Curt Discovery brake controller, but it should have diagnostics that show voltage and current to electric brakes. If you apply brakes and then release, the brake controller’s output should go to 0 volts (and therefore 0 current). If not, something is still telling the brake controller to stay engaged.
Dave

Papa/Nana/2grandchildren
2007 Ford Explorer (Dora)
2015 Launch 16RB (Tardis-1)

Fundamental

Curt Brake controller and camper brake issue

Post by Fundamental » December 26th, 2016, 7:39 pm

:cry: I have a 2008 Silverado, pulling a 2016 StarCraft ar-one 15 rb, using a Curt Discovery brake controller. When I applied brakes they will not disengage on Camper until i tap brakes several times. Any suggestions?
:D