braking problems

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
fwking

Re: braking problems solved!

Post by fwking » June 19th, 2017, 8:29 pm

So after tracing every wire from controller to hubs, in the second hub I checked I found the attached photo. The idiot that assembled the brakes new left a wire flopping around and it had gotten caught behind the swing arm that holds the magnet. check out the photo and if you have this intermittent brake problem, check the hubs FIRST!
Attachments
IMG_20170608_170420.jpg
IMG_20170608_170420.jpg (3.01 MiB) Viewed 1731 times

Houston Remodeler

Re: braking problems

Post by Houston Remodeler » May 29th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Know anyone with another veehickle you can test drive the trailer ?
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

fwking

Post by fwking » May 29th, 2017, 11:42 am

Thanks so much. I installed the controller and wiring in my 2016 Nissan Frontier myself and at present my tester when plugged into the 7 way connector shows good but of course that is with everything at a stop. There is a small terminal block on the inside of the tongue just behind the propane regulator that I wonder about. Anyone know it's function. Thanks so much for your input my friend. 44 years ago I was at Farragut state park for a bsa jamboree and fell in love with your beautiful state. Fk

GaryG

Post by GaryG » May 28th, 2017, 10:41 pm

Sorry about your braking issues. I would take your pull vehicle and trailer to the service center that installed the brake controller and have them check out the wiring harness and brakes. That's my two cents. If that is not possible then take it in to the nearest RV dealer and do the same. If it's a new trailer I'd take it into the dealer that sold the trailer to you and have them check it out.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

fwking

braking problems

Post by fwking » May 27th, 2017, 10:39 pm

I have a 2017 14RB and have had braking issues on and off since I got it last year. I am on my second controller and wiring harness and still having the same intermittent issues. I have a Tekonsha proportional controller. No matter how I set the controller the brakes will stop as they are supposed to BUT just as the vehicle is coming in close to 10 mph or so the brakes will release and the controller will usually show SH (short) or sometimes OL (overload.) HELP!! I have lost two trips to this happening just as I am getting on the interstate. Any ideas or experience welcome!