Carbon Monoxide Alarm when High Wind and Water Heater On

Discuss entry level campers offer a host of amenities at a low cost and are easily towed.
GlennInTN

Re: Carbon Monoxide Alarm when High Wind and Water Heater On

Post by GlennInTN » August 11th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Just finished our cross country round trip of 55 days (6366 miles) with 32 camping nights and we did not have a recurrence of our CO alarm problem. Makes me think that it was a _very_ specific wind condition that caused it and will make it very hard to test if any steps taken to fix it have actually worked. I have a gap in the interior wall where the city water or water tank filler line (I can't remember which) where I can see the inside the wall insulation that I'm going to seal, and I'll look into the snap in wind screen recommended by cattzap.

If the problem ever comes back I'll post here, but for now I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

cattzap

Post by cattzap » June 25th, 2018, 4:53 pm

You can get a snap in wind screen for water heaters. Find your model # and look for one. It's a simple square of metal. It'll probably solve it.

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » June 23rd, 2018, 10:08 am

First off ... wow! So glad you had a CO alarm!

It seems really weird that CO from the water heater is seeping in. To be honest, i never ran the gas water heater overnight. Gas anything worries me. I turn it off when I turn. Matter of fact I usually only use the gas burner in the WH 30 minutes before a shower. After I fitted an electric water heater element in, I do leave it on at all times.

I work in an industry that makes me very leary of gas and flames .... I have electric everything.

You may want to contact Starcraft or Atwood and ask.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

GlennInTN

Carbon Monoxide Alarm when High Wind and Water Heater On

Post by GlennInTN » June 18th, 2018, 1:52 am

We have a 2016 (bought used) AR-1 17RD and are out on our first extended cross country trip. Camped in Wyoming with a stiff breeze coming at the left side of the trailer, if we turn on the water heater after a few minutes the LP/CO detector sounds off indicating carbon monoxide. The headache I got tells me it was not a false alarm. Opening windows to air it out was somewhat effective, but the only thing that stopped the alarm from coming back was shutting off the hot water heater. We have camped about 10 days total with it and this is the first time we have had this problem. This is the first time I we had this kind of steady wind from the left. I opened the seat and felt all around the water heater when it was on but could not feel any hot exhaust coming in around it. The CO comes in with all the windows closed (or open) as long as the water heater is on.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas where the CO is coming in from?