Exterior Cargo door latch replacement

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
Zyriah

Re: Exterior Cargo door latch replacement

Post by Zyriah » March 14th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Okay, thanks. I'll do that.

oldenuftoknowbetter

Post by oldenuftoknowbetter » March 14th, 2017, 7:49 pm

You have to go through a dealer for warranty claims.
2013 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.0L w/factory tow package
2016 Starcraft Launch UltraLite 26BHS w/ Reese WDH

Zyriah

Post by Zyriah » March 14th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Greetings!
We were out camping this last weekend and one of our Launch cargo door latches has this same problem. This should be under warranty, I'd think, since it's just now 2 years and we'd purchased that extended warranty. My question is - how to contact StarCraft? We'd purchased it at the Crestview dealer in Buda and there is one closer to our home in Georgetown. Should we just contact them instead? All my paperwork is in the camper which is not stored at our home. Do I contact StarCraft or Jayco?

thanks!!

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » October 11th, 2016, 2:01 am

I'm glad to hear it went so well! Thanks for the info!
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

GaryG

Post by GaryG » October 8th, 2016, 6:21 am

Picked up the new latch today at the dealer and didn't need the set of keys that was ordered since the latch came with two. The parts person thought they needed to be ordered separately.

Removed 4 screws, removed the old latch and installed the new one. Took about a couple minutes. The keys that came with the new latch also opens the other cargo door latch on the other side of the trailer so that simplifies things. Overall, about $30. I feel better knowing the cargo door now is lockable, even though anyone with the same kind of door latch has a key that will work!
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

GaryG

Post by GaryG » October 3rd, 2016, 4:08 am

I emailed Starcraft and they sent me the part number (s) latch and key are sold separately. I had to go to the Starcraft dealer locally since Starcraft corporate does not sell the parts to individuals. The cost with 2 keys is going to be about $40. I'll replace it when it comes in. The dealer said it usually takes about 3-4 weeks for this special ordered parts. Hopefully I can just remove the old latch and replace it with the new one. I'll post when I've completed the job.

jjvirginia@gmail.com

Post by jjvirginia@gmail.com » September 28th, 2016, 12:47 am

Going to follow this thread. The locks on these hatches are the worst but others have told me it's a common problem.

I can unlock passenger side front hatch with my fingernail- no joke. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to lock these front hatches. A friend of mine had his broken into this year and thieves cause almost $1k in damage to the shell. I figure if someone is going to steal my stuff they can have it and I'll be happy to have avoided damage by forced entry.

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » September 21st, 2016, 2:44 pm

I'd look here, first. They stock all sorts of stuff that isn't easy to find for trailers .... http://austinhardware.com/
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

GaryG

Exterior Cargo door latch replacement

Post by GaryG » September 21st, 2016, 3:33 am

Has anyone replaced a broken exterior cargo door latch? I had wondered why I could never get it to lock. I studied it closely tonight and discovered the little pin that turns down (when you turn the key)to lock the door is missing! It's just not there like the other side cargo door latch. Iv'e looked a bit online, i.e., Camping world, Lipert Industries, Amazon and have not located the exact latch mechanism. Any help in locating this would help. Otherwise guess I'll call the dealer, who sells StarCraft and see if they can order me one. Thanks.

Iv'e attached a photo of the cargo door so you know what latch I am referencing.
Attachments
Exterior Cargo door latch.JPG
Exterior Cargo door latch.JPG (57.68 KiB) Viewed 2956 times