Rodent Proofing

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
rbrent

Re: Rodent Proofing

Post by rbrent » May 19th, 2015, 1:50 am

I also went underneath and sealed every nook and cranny in the plastic underbelly. There is no way a rodent can get inside thru the bottom of the trailer so I'm not too worried about the holes where the piping goes thru the floor to the underbelly. i have done this to my many other campers and have never had a problem.
Bob and Margaret
2015 Launch Ultra Light 24RLS
2016 Chevrolet 1500 Double Cab
Westland, Michigan

tslarson

Re: Rodent Proofing

Post by tslarson » May 18th, 2015, 2:42 am

The first thing I did to our trailer when we got it last year was to seal up every single hole in the floor I could find. I just used spray foam. I think that if you keep the air and heat from passing through a mouse won't be attracted to the area. I looked everywhere and hope I found every penetration in the floor. I also worked from underneath trying to improve on the factory's spray foam job, which actually was pretty good.
2015 Travel Star Galaxy 299BHU (Black Pearl Edition)
2009 Ford F150 CC FX4

moallen

Rodent Proofing

Post by moallen » May 17th, 2015, 6:38 pm

This 24rls is our 5th camper. I've always crawled underneath and sealed around pipes and cables. The gaps were never huge, but supposedly a mouse can squeeze through a 1/4" crack. Except for the engine compartment of a class c, we've never had a problem with rodents getting inside.

Our new 24rls has the Artic package, and a fiberglass blanket covers the entire bottom side. The bottom side is covered with a heavy duty vinyl, and the top side is covered with a thin aluminum foil. it looks rather secure from underneath the trailer and it would be impossible to find any places to seal.

I opened up 4 places inside and looked for any opportunities to seal things - under the refrigerator, under the kitchen sink drawers, under the bath sink and under the shower. These are all covered by access panels.

I was astonished by the size of the holes cut during manufacture with no attempt to seal them. For example, the opening under the shower was about 8" x 8". Apparently Starcraft expects the Artic package's insulation blanket to keep pests out. I'm not that confident and sealed them with sheet metal, stainless steel wool and RTV caulk.

I could feel air movement in each of those places. In fact, wires actually penetrated the insulation in several places. I have always heard mice have keen senses and can detect warm air and odors in places they might like to homestead.

It wasn't easy sealing up these places. But now I can rest easy.
Refrigerator
Refrigerator
Refrig.JPG (114.17 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Kitchen Sink
Kitchen Sink
Kit_Sink.JPG (84.25 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Shower
Shower
Shower.JPG (106.39 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2016 Dodge Ram 4x4, 5.7L V8, 8 speed auto, 3.21 axle ratio