2011 Acadia Denali Towing a Starcraft Launch 19BHS Experience

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
ARONEMAXX17

Re: 2011 Acadia Denali Towing a Starcraft Launch 19BHS Experience

Post by ARONEMAXX17 » April 8th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Glad to know I'm not the only one who did this. I have a 2012 Traverse FWD LTZ and I just took our 19BH le for the first time to Pigeon Forge for the first time and no problems at all... We are thinking about Myrtle Beach this summer... Have you went anywhere longer distance than the zoo....How was your Acadia after the trip any issues??

GaryG

Post by GaryG » March 5th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Great story and great advice" no your limitations and don't wear your motor out" I'm at my total weight limit pulling my Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 26BHS and have the same experience with a 6 cylinder. I have a tow package, dual axles, electric brakes and a weight distribution hitch. It pulls better than the smaller lighter weight trailer I traded in on this trailer. The business that installed my electric brakes and hitch just said, 'don't get in a hurry' and you'll be fine. Slower is always safer and you enjoy so much more of the 'getting there'. Happy trailering! :)
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

KirkB

Post by KirkB » March 5th, 2017, 1:46 pm

I meant 19BHS...sorry about that.

KirkB

Post by KirkB » March 5th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Thanks for the post. I pick up my Launch 19rbs this Thursday in Phoenix and will be towing it with my 2016 Toyota Highlander, which has a 5,000lb tow rating. I plan to drive it just the way you described your trip...watch the rpms and don't treat it like a V8. My wife and I are very excited to begin this new adventure, and are determined to make it fun, not stressful. Happy camping!

Houston Remodeler

Post by Houston Remodeler » February 21st, 2017, 4:27 am

Thanks for the detailed report ! Very thorough and well executed.
2015 24 RLS with some mods
2014 Ram 2500 diesel

suitablehandle

2011 Acadia Denali Towing a Starcraft Launch 19BHS Experience

Post by suitablehandle » February 21st, 2017, 12:22 am

Hello all!

This post is a synopsis of my towing experience with my 2011 GMC Acadia Denali. I have been a camper, have been all of my life. I, like many other people, followed the progression from tent to popup. After about 4 years in our popup, the wife and I decided it was time to upgrade to a fully enclosed! So the journey began to find a trailer that I thought the Acadia could pull safely.

There are people on both sides of the fence. Should you tow a travel trailer with an Acadia? What is the heaviest travel trailer you could tow safely? Frontal area limits? Short wheel base limitations? Unibody design factors?

I swamped by brain with all of this information and tried desperately to make an informed decision that was safe for my family (beautiful wife, crazy kids, non-human daughter(the dog)). Some said I would be crazy to pull a TT with an Acadia. Others said they would haul a maximum of 2600 pounds for a dry-weight rv, because it just is not designed to be a tow vehicle.

Well, I decided I was going to tow a travel trailer with it. I decided that the maximum weight I would want to tow would be 3700 pounds dry weight on a TT. Why this number? Because it was very close to the model camper I wanted (StarCraft Launch 19BHS), 3670 on the RV lot. It also left me lots of room to put people and stuff into the TT with lots of room (weight) to spare. The last thing that put me over the edge on deciding to tow with the Acadia is that my Dad, Father in Law, and best friends dad all tow campers all answered my question, should I tow with it?, with an astounding YES! They said that I had nothing to worry about as long as I got weight distribution and sway control and to go for it. I decided to stop overthinking all the details and stay well under my maximum weight and go for it.

Electric Brake Box Install- This is how I wired my harness. Its a Tekonsha from O'Rielly's. I found out the wiring harness is weird, but this is how I did it: Acadia Red and Black goes with the Black Controller. Acadia Black Wire goes with White Controller. Acadia Blue goes with Blue Controller. Acadia White goes with Red Controller. Gray- tape it up and don't use it. The wiring is hard to find. My wife actually found it. It was taped up and you couldn't tell what it was under the steering column.

When I attached the TT for the first time with the weight distribution and sway control, I expected the Acadia to sag a bit from the weight of the hitch, but it barely moved. I was more than satisfied with how it sat on the hitch, and it was better than I thought it would have been.

I got an extended side mirror to help with watching the left side. It worked well.

The first pulling experience was pleasant. If you are going to tow with an Acadia you must realize that this is not a V-8, and do not treat it like that. I always tried to keep the RPMs low and control my accelerations, even though the other drivers probably didn't appreciate it. Ehh, too bad for them. As soon as I got on the relatively open interstate I wanted to see how it handled. I increased up to 65 slowly, with no issues, and started feeling some motion in the back at about 68-69. So, 65 was my new top speed.

I had to go through tons of hilly terrain through NC into VA, and it made for terrible gas mileage. But, I didn't focus on the posted speed limits too much, and instead watched my RPMs, let the hills work for me and control the engine. Sometimes that would mean I was going 45 in a 60 up a long strong gradient hill. I was totally okay with people passing me and had no issues with it in this type of hilly terrain. The temp gauge never moved over the 210, right in the middle. Never once budged. I watched it like a hawk the whole time.

When I got past the constant up and down of those mid NC hills I got on some flat interstate the 95. I was a little nervous to get on the interstate with a full size trailer for the first time, but I went for it. The road was much flatter now, and I was able to put the cruise control on 61 and it maintained about 1900-2300 RPMs the whole time. Yes, the speed limit was 70, and people were passing me, but I just kept right along. The GPS said it was a 4 hour trip to Norfolk from the NC Zoo. With our stops and going slower speed it took us about 5.5 hours. I got 11 MPG for the entire trip, which I was okay with. I think on flat interstate road going 60, I could get 12 MPG.

I think the trailer also helped with the towing experience. It is only a 7 foot wide box, which helps to be able to control it easier. It also has 2 axles, which absorbs the bumps a lot more than a single axle. The ride was smoother pulling the 19BHS than my popup, and I attribute this to the dual axle.

All in all, I was happy with how it towed. I had no issues and really no complaints. You have to know your limitations, don't wear your engine out with high RPMs and it will do just fine. Also, be okay with going 60 in a 70. At night, I was big enough with enough lights for people to know to watch the heck out.

The most important thing was that my wife was happy with it! She felt safe and positive about the whole experience. We are able to tow a TT with our everyday driver. Would I want a larger tow vehicle? No, not with this camper. I am totally happy with how it towed. If I ever get anything bigger I would probably get a bigger TV, but until then... the Acadia Wins!
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (248.21 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (217.08 KiB) Viewed 1326 times