WifiRanger Sky2 pre-installed in Launch question

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
Blackbeard

Re: WifiRanger Sky2 pre-installed in Launch question

Post by Blackbeard » May 2nd, 2022, 4:27 pm

Hi all, 2nd owner of a 2017 16RB Launch Mini. Has a rocker switch in a panel above sink with a wifi logo. I currently have a case open with StarCraft(Jayco) to let me know where or how to get my repeater going. I switch it on but see no wifi to connect to. Rocker doesnt give any indicator light. See no breaker or fuse for it either. Was hoping to try this out at home and configure it but no such luck. Top of TT has a flat antenna I assume is the HDTV, and a single wire with coils like an old styl;e cellular. No idea where the actual equipment is located. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
2017 Launch Mini 16RB

Trebor

Post by Trebor » August 14th, 2017, 5:50 pm

My 2017 289BHS has the WiFi Ranger and I have had it connect to a campgrounds WiFi with our devices connected to it but never used the ethernet connection or cellular modem connection. In fact, I found this thread because I was trying to pin point where the WiFi ranger was in the TT! LOL
2012 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
2017 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

habelson

Post by habelson » August 2nd, 2017, 8:39 pm

Has anyone had issues with the Wifi Ranger not turning on initially? I can't get the dealer, or wifi ranger, or Starcraft to help me figure out whats wrong. I suspect the power is not connected correctly to the device, but I have no access to anything in order to verify. Any tips? Does the device on the roof have any LED lights?
2017 Starcraft Satellite 18DS
2016 Ford Edge SE AWD

kuba122

Post by kuba122 » July 2nd, 2017, 6:47 pm

An iphone in tethering mode is not the same thing as a cellular modem. You are talking about the personal hot spot and it has its limitations about the exact types of equipment that will recognize and connect to it.

You may be able to work around it with a wifi laptop and software .... i get netflix through my iphone that way, so i know it works.
2014 Starcraft AR-One 15RB
2006 Chevrolet Silverado

jandkboyer

Post by jandkboyer » July 2nd, 2017, 6:02 pm

I am anxious to hear how this works out. We just purchased a 2017 26bhs. It doesn't appear there are too many owners out there! Do you love yours? This is our first new one and I'm a little nervous!

wdennis

Post by wdennis » June 21st, 2017, 7:08 pm

@GaryG, it's a 2017 "Elite" 26BHS... had a "WiFi Enabled" sticker in the window. It works great, given good park wifi signal & traffic levels (sadly, not always the case...) All your devices connect to the Launch wifi access point (we named ours "DennisRV") and then you use a web site (part of the WifiRanger) to connect the WifiRanger to an available park access point, and authenticate etc. So you never have to connect all your devices to another park wifi.

GaryG

Post by GaryG » June 20th, 2017, 3:32 pm

I check this post daily and I don't know how I missed yours. What year is your BHS? Was this an option that you ordered or did it come with the trailer? I've never heard of this before and have never seen one on a trailer! Mine, a 2016 26BHS does not have this, it only has the roof top TV aerial (saucer/disk shaped) Sounds like a great option. Thanks posting about it and sorry I am of no help.
2016 Starcraft 26 BHS Launch Ultra Lite - Gary from Boise, Idaho

wdennis

WifiRanger Sky2 pre-installed in Launch question

Post by wdennis » May 21st, 2017, 1:05 pm

Hi all,

One of the features I'm enjoying in my new Launch 26BHS is the factory-installed WifiRanger Sky2 unit, which is mounted on the roof above the front BR. It works great connected to an external wifi connection (tried it at my home, connected to my home wifi as if it was the park WiFi.)

However, we are camping for the first time with the new trailer this weekend, in a place with no wifi... The Sky2 page on WiFiRanger.com talks about a way to connect a cellular modem (in our case, an iPhone in tethering mode) to a USB port:

https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/product/64-sky2-pack

The problem is, I don't see the "indoor core router" part anywhere inside the TT... There are USB connectors (2) besides the radio/DVD player, but when I tried plugging the phone into them, nothing came up on the WiFiRanger control web page on the cellular modem page... Does anyone here know if Starcraft enabled the USB (and/or Ethernet) inputs to the Sky2? If so, where might the connections to it be?