Newbie Question - Furnace on 187TB

Discuss these hardside and hybrid camper trailers packed with amenities.
Sbrinson

Re: Newbie Question - Furnace on 187TB

Post by Sbrinson » January 26th, 2019, 11:23 pm

If propane has been turned off at the tank valve, and the rig has been sitting unused for a period of time, the gas in the lines to the appliances will sometimes dissipate. The lines need to be purged of air. Try turning the tank valve on slowly, then open one of the burner valves on your propane stove. You will hear hissing of air moving through the line, but the burner may not immediately light. It may take a short delay for the gas to fill the line and reach the stove. You may need to attempt lighting the burner several times. After it finally lights, let it burn for 30-45 seconds before turning it off. Afterward, your other propane devices should be able to light more easily.

The "snapping sound" that uno676 mentions are the electronic ignition systems attempting the light. The controllers on these devices will attempt the lighting sequence three times. If the air has not been purged from the line it won't light immediately. Refrigerators, furnaces and your oven have thermocouples, which are devices designed to detect the presence of heat/flame. If the device hasn't succeeded with ignition, the devices' gas valve will turn off. The furnace also has a sail-switch to detect air movement from the blower. If the blower doesn't start moving air within a pre-set interval, the device will shut down. You can attempt to re-set each of these devices by turning them off, waiting a few minutes, then turning them back on...after making sure air has been purged from the gas lines. As mentioned, the refrigerator prefers being level.
2016 Launch 24RLS
Toyota Tundra SR5

Dempton

Post by Dempton » October 18th, 2018, 11:51 pm

I have a Looong list of issues with my 187TB. Did you find a fix for your furnace issue?

Uno676

Post by Uno676 » August 29th, 2018, 6:48 pm

I know the fridge and hot water heater do I don’t recall the heater doing it. The fridge and hot water heater will make a snapping noise the fridge has been my biggest issue. I learned one thing you camper has to be level for the fridge to work. Had it parked on the street and it didn’t work googles it and found you have to be level.
2018 Launch 187TB

FamilyCamp

Post by FamilyCamp » August 28th, 2018, 2:40 am

Uno676 wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 3:41 pm
I have noticed with mine sometimes when you turn the propane on the first time it causes somekind of hickup that wont allow the propane appliances to ignite. so i turn them off let it set a second or two then turn them back on and they fire right up. Maybe samething?????
Lonnie
I have not had any such luck. I have left it off for several minutes and there has been no change. Do you normally hear any sounds at all coming from furnace before it lights? I hear nothing at all so I wonder if the thermostat or the connection is bad. I may try to swap it for an older thermostat or just wait until the dealer is also fixing the water heater.

FamilyCamp

Post by FamilyCamp » August 28th, 2018, 2:38 am

milnea77 wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 12:13 am
The 187TB only has the wall mounted thermostat. Are you having any issues with your 187TB? I just bought mine 6 months ago and I have a long list of issues already. Aaron
I have only had mine for a month now and aside from the thermostat/furnace, the water heater ignition stopped working during our first camping trip. Those are the only two issues so far but it seems like the water heater might be a common recent issue. I am scheduled to bring it back to camping world in about 10 days and hopefully it will be a quick resolution.

Uno676

Post by Uno676 » August 27th, 2018, 3:41 pm

I have noticed with mine sometimes when you turn the propane on the first time it causes somekind of hickup that wont allow the propane appliances to ignite. so i turn them off let it set a second or two then turn them back on and they fire right up. Maybe samething?????
Lonnie
2018 Launch 187TB

milnea77

Post by milnea77 » August 27th, 2018, 12:13 am

The 187TB only has the wall mounted thermostat. Are you having any issues with your 187TB? I just bought mine 6 months ago and I have a long list of issues already. Aaron

FamilyCamp

Newbie Question - Furnace on 187TB

Post by FamilyCamp » August 26th, 2018, 2:07 am

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post and my ignorance is going to show quickly. We just bought a 187TB and I am cautiously exploring the various systems. The furnace has me at a loss. I tried to fire it up for the first time to test everything and I feel like I must be missing a step or a switch. Other then setting the thermostat setting and the on/off switch on the top edge of the thermostat, is there any additional switch to turn on? The manual for the Atwood AFS series furnace references a switch in a Control Access Panel but what/where is this? Thanks in advance for your help.